Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new series ReGenesis was on TMNHD on Rogers last night. This is a Canadian production (to a large part paid for by us as per the credits) and was well done.

The audio was 5.1 and was good. The PQ was very grainy which resulted in a picture that was washed out and not too sharp.

That being said, I plan on making time for this on Sunday evenings......

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I have mixed feelings with the storyboard. There wasn't much on there last night to keep me 100% interested. Mind you I had the same feeling about Deadwood and really can't wait for the next season. As for ReGenesis, the only thing that makes me want to look at it again is the cloned little boy....

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
otown47 said:
The audio was 5.1 and was good. The PQ was very grainy which resulted in a picture that was washed out and not too sharp.
It may have been just widescreen upconverted, not real HD.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Did you notice the compression wasn't very good? When Maxim Roy was standing outside the bar that burnt down, the red flashing lights from the cop cars, the red reflection on her face were like a badly encoded video. I didn't thing it would happen in HD...

·
Registered
643 Posts
I watched this for a bit last night, my thoughts were the same,
very grainy pic washed out and undefined, so much so I switched it off.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If you watched the show, how could you have possibly missed that bit of information? It was Ebola & Camel Pox.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I called and asked, it was real HD, TMN does not upconvert SD on the HD channel.
The grainiyness is probably added for effect in post, much like other movies/shows (for example Minority Report)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tat2, I saw Minority Report and Regenesis is much more grainy than that. I don't think Regenesis is grainy for effect. This reminds me of that scary home-made-looking movie about the kids in the woods at night...sorry can't remember the name.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I could see where some parts were grainy on purpose to fade out a shot but some didn't make much sense like in close-ups of some of the characters were grainy then fine. I'll go with the vote that the production or broadcast was a little off.

Anyway, you could certainly tell it was Canadian in spots eh. I like when they showed the lab work (staring a a centrefuge for example and watching liquid drop) and played music like it was really furthering the story any. All in all I'm going to watch another as I also liked the cloned kid and I'm interested in what the scoop is with the lady doctor who's brother is linked to terrorism (names escape me as usual).

Was it supposed to be two episodes in one? If so it was over kinda early eh? I assume that's to stick in commericals with plans to air it on CBC or something later.

·
Registered
674 Posts
otown47 said:
tat2, I saw Minority Report and Regenesis is much more grainy than that. I don't think Regenesis is grainy for effect. This reminds me of that scary home-made-looking movie about the kids in the woods at night...sorry can't remember the name.
Minority report was an example of how grain is used for "effect" or "feel" by a production designer/cinematographer/director. Watching the show it does look to have a touch more grain than that movie.

I however don't understand when people complain about it and call it a production/braodcast (BTW a broadcast problem would not add grain like that) "problem" when it is done intentionally, weather it's added in post or as part of the film stock selection (certian stock has more grain than others) it is all pre-selected before it ever gets to you.

Accept it like you accept OAR.

The movie your "The Blair Witch Project"
The running time was about 1h30m by my watch.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry tat2 but the PQ on Regenisis looks like upconverted SD....and I don't accept it. Lets agree to disagree.......

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Based on the Nov 7th show it still looks like upconverted SD....a really bad upconvert to boot....

·
Registered
988 Posts
Saw the first 2 episodes in SD and thought it was pretty good. Saw last night's episode in HD and was totally turned off by the extreme graininess. Even considered going back to the SD version. Some of the worst "HD" I've ever seen.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Agreed, the worst HD I've seen to date. I like the show though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'll second or third that ... not the greatest HD transmission again tonight. I think Peter Outerbridge is growing into the character quite nicely. I think the worst acting so far is from the director girl there (opus goes off to check actress name) ... Maxim Roy. To be fair I think it's a bit miscast since I seriously doubt anyone that young would be in that position.

I still laugh though as every week you get the mixing of pointless chemicals and the now standard shot of a centrifuge circling.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was channel surfing this afternoon and came across Regenesis. The PQ seems to be improved a lot....its not grainy any more. Is this one episode or a season 2 thing?

·
Registered
180 Posts
otown47 said:
I was channel surfing this afternoon and came across Regenesis. The PQ seems to be improved a lot....its not grainy any more. Is this one episode or a season 2 thing?
Season 2. I would surmise that it about half way thru the season.
I made note of how old the orig. posting was because
the picture quality of the show on MCHD has always been outstanding.
But I didnt see the original airing of Season One. It's nice to see a cdn
production with cdn actors in HD that I enjoy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts