Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RedEye connects to your home Wi-Fi network, allowing anyone in your house with an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad to control your home theater.
This product is very interesting. I am considering it for my home. Going forward I will have a number of components feeding two televisions on two floors so I want to be able to control the components on both floors with one remote. Using my iPhone, touch or Ipad would be ideal.

Wondering if anyone is using a Redeye and what their thoughts are?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cheesy youtube video that kind of gives you an overview

In my situation, I would put a Redeye remote in front of my component rack in the basement and then control all the components with an ipad, touch or iphone from either floor.

Nice as it would act as a Universal Remote on each floor.

Total Cost is about $220 CDN for hardware and app is free which compares nicely with other solutions.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nobody eh?

I will be getting a review unit in the next little while and be posting my thoughts. Will let you know.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Hugh

I have a Redeye unit with the app on my iPad. I am interested in something that is easier to use to control functionality that needs macros or more than a simple one key command for my AV equipment. I have a Harmony One now controlling 10 devices, only 6 of which are in constant use.

I find the Harmony is quite good for the basic controls after a bit of effort is spent to get it set up. I was interested in trying out a device that could be more programmable and thought an iPad app would be one approach to try as I now have the iPad beside my seat when I am using my AV equipment or just reading.

I got the basic control of my TV, AV receiver and cable box working with the Redeye after a bit of effort. I found that it was more difficult to program the Redeye than the Harmony but that is just after a small amount of effort with the Redeye. It is clear that I will favour the Harmony for basic control of my AV equipment but I am still going to put more effort in seeing if it will be a useful adjunct to the Harmony.

I will be interested in hearing how you make out with the Redeye, Hugh.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Alan. As I noted, what intrigues about the Redeye is the iOS integration and the ability to control my components from multiple rooms. Once I get it set up, I will report back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking forward to your review...

I'll be interested to read your review, when you've written it.

The reviews of the app on the app store are not so flattering: (I really like the french one... :) )

Should still be in beta

by Mark Tuleweit
It should be much better in a year or so with constant updates but even with the latest version it is far to buggy. The hardware also doesn't work well if Bluetooth is on your device. Plenty of crashes, delays, lag every time you use it. Many missing or incomplete IR codes, missing features, no troubleshooting like in Harmony remotes. Hold off buying hardware until at least 3 more software updates to fix some issues. Could be awesome in a year.

Zero

by Mmx7243a
On est supposer gagner du temps , en possédant tous les télécommandes en Une , mais avec les problèmes récurant du programme , sa serais plus vite de trouver ta télécommande dans la craque du sofa !!

I also wonder how it will do with Apple remotes, such as the one used by the Apple TV - they have a unique ID programmed into the signal, so I wonder if it it's catalog will work well, or if one winds up having to teach it each of the buttons yourself.

I'll keep an eye on my email for when you get a chance to post that review.

Keep up the great work!

Duncan.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spent a lot of time on the weekend with Redeye.

My initial impressions are similar. The idea is excellent, the hardware appears to work well but the software is buggy, poor user interface, and extremely difficult to use. Also, I was disappointed at the lack of remotes in the database, essentially none of mine.

I am going to spend more time with it before I pass final judgement.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I'm interested - I'm suspecting that it wouldn't be too dificult to integrate this into a HA setup to, say, turn the heat up/hot water tank on in the cottage prior to arrival - from any wi-fi hotspot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts