Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I'm not sure in which forum to post this, let's hope this is the right one...)

Hi!

I want to get rid of some old monitors (and one small portable tv) I have and I have been looking for a place that will hopefully recycle them.

I have found that a (somewhat) local computer store apparently accepts them ($10 per monitor, $15 per tv) and send them to a place that apparently recycles them.

As I have quite a few monitors to get rid off I'm wondering if this is the usual/normal fee to get rid of them or should I continue looking....

Thank you!

Nick

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Search as this has been discussed many times with some excellent suggestions given. I recommend calling your local municipality since many cities have depots that will take the equipment at no charge or for a small fee.

·
Super Moderator
56,560 Posts
In Toronto we have waste depots that take electronics for free. This is usually the same place as hazardous waste disposal or the transfer station for the garbage. Contact your city office (perhaps look at the web)

We even have curbside collection. See the following link for Toronto and see if there's something similar for Montreal.

http://www.toronto.ca/ourtoronto/summer2010/greeningthecity/article06.utf8.htm

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Check with your city, here in Gatineau we have places we dispose of them for free I would imagine Montreal being such a large city should be a head of Gatineau on recycling, right? Do you have 311 service in Montreal? If so, simply call them up and they'll lead you on how to proceed.

Note' yes you do : http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=5798,42811578&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Montréal : Oui, dans tous les éco-centres
http://vieenvert.telequebec.tv/occurrence.aspx?id=456

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Search as this has been discussed many times with some excellent suggestions given. I recommend calling your local municipality since many cities have depots that will take the equipment at no charge or for a small fee.
(Sorry for the delayed replies...)

Hi Hugh!

I had searched but I am currently using my netbook since my desktop decided to leave us for a better world which kinda makes browsing a pain so I guess I probably missed something...

Thank you for the suggestion about calling my municipality, I'll try that. I did consult their web sites and but tit's full of broken links and/or incomplete information so I guess the best thing might be to call them...

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nick

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi TECHNOKID!

Check with your city, here in Gatineau we have places we dispose of them for free I would imagine Montreal being such a large city should be a head of Gatineau on recycling, right?
I am not in Montreal but on its South Shore. Since I live in a relatively small town I thought it was preferable to say that instead of its name or "Monteregie" or "Vallee du Richelieu".

Thanks! They don't mention my town but they do give good information on the subject.

Have a nice day!

Nick

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure about the east, but out here FS and BB accept electronics for recycling. No cost.
Looks like this kind of recycling is, essentially, limited to Alberta and Ontario.

re:

(FS DOMAIN)/en-ca/futuregeneration/recycle.aspx
(BB DOMAIN)/en-CA/recycling.aspx

Maybe the required infrastructure (or maybe even laws) to get rid of these is not in place in the other provinces?

Nick

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Staples does as well as long as it's under 5 items.
You might have something here, it looks like they might do it here too...

re: (STAPLES DOMAIN)/ENG/Static/static_pages.asp?pagename=soulrecycling&cm_sp=Splash-_-Soul-_-recycling

Only problem is that they must be in working order which is not the case (or barely the case) of some of the monitors I must get rid of...

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

Nick

·
Registered
833 Posts
Goodwill is another option. I had a bunch of old computer stuff including some old motherboards, cases, etc. and our local Goodwill was happy to take it all. There is a city recycling centre in the same complex so I was planning on just dropping the stuff off there but I stopped in the Goodwill first just in case and they wanted everything.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
(Argh, I had scroll past your message...)

Hi 57!

In Toronto we have waste depots that take electronics for free. This is usually the same place as hazardous waste disposal or the transfer station for the garbage. Contact your city office (perhaps look at the web)

We even have curbside collection. See the following link for Toronto and see if there's something similar for Montreal.

http://www.toronto.ca/ourtoronto/summer2010/greeningthecity/article06.utf8.htm
Thanks, will do...

Have a nice day!

Nick

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Goodwill is another option.
I initially thought this was in Ontario (the first match you get in Google is in Ontario) but it looks like they do exist here too but under the name Renaissance Quebec (edit: They are affiliated to them) (http://www.renaissancequebec.ca)

I had a bunch of old computer stuff including some old motherboards, cases, etc. and our local Goodwill was happy to take it all.
It has to be in working condition though, right? As for Renaissance from what I've read they don't do that unfortunately (they do suggest other places to check though)...

Nick

·
Registered
833 Posts
To my surprise the stuff that Goodwill took was far from working condition. It was a box of random parts - old motherboards, drives, various adapters, etc. I really didn't expect they would want it but they were right next door to the recycling centre so I stopped in there first. It may vary from place to place though as to what they will accept.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Not sure about other locales, but electronics recycling in Alberta isn't free. You pay an eco fee up front when you buy electronics, kind of like a prepaid funeral plan ... :)

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
^^^^
Same in Ontario, which is why it's better to keep those old CRT monitors in service, so they can keep using lots of electricity and generating plenty of carbon.

</sarcasm>

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It may vary from place to place though as to what they will accept.
It seems to be the case as they don't offer the same services here. I guess it depends on what's already in place in the province...

Thank you very much for your help!

Nick

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi!

Not sure about other locales, but electronics recycling in Alberta isn't free.
^^^^
Same in Ontario,
I had read about these "Eco fee" and I had noticed that there seemed to be a pattern. If you are in a province that has an "Eco fee" for electronics, it seems to be pretty easy to find a place that recycles them while it seems to be a pain in all the other provinces...

The only thing I know about that we have an "Eco fee" to pay when we buy it here is tires AFAIK...

You pay an eco fee up front when you buy electronics, kind of like a prepaid funeral plan ... :)
and

which is why it's better to keep those old CRT monitors in service, so they can keep using lots of electricity and generating plenty of carbon.</sarcasm>
ROTFL...

Thank you very much for your help guys!

Nick

1 - 20 of 26 Posts