Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using this 530 for a while with just one cable installed. I bought it used, seems to be fine for the last month+ with normal viewing. So I finally got around to running the 2nd line in so I could use it as a pvr. But if I record something, nothing shows under 'DVR List' (options - 9). I get the red light to indicate it's recording, or scheduled, it stops recording at the appropriate time, but my list is empty.

It had some shows saved form the previous owner so I know it used to work (I watched a few of the good ones :) ). I deleted them thinking it might be full even thoug it said there was lots of space left, so now it's totally empty. But nothign ever gets in my list. Even if I just hit record on a show I'm watching live, it will promt to save it, I say yes, but nothing is there later on. Just to throw in a curveball, I have paused live TV a couple of times, and that seemed to work fine, so it's not totally fubar.

Am I doing something stupid??? Or is this 530 messed up?

One other question (since I don't have the user manaul) if I'm scheduling a future show to reciord in the menu, I choose record, but then do I have to leave the 530 powered on, or can I turn it off? I tried it both ways and my show did not show up either way. They seem to be saving, but then disappear!!!

Oh, and no way to get the content onto a USB device etc, assumign I save a show that I want to keep forever is there? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Red light where? The led's on the right hand side should "rotate" to signify recording.

I suspect that the new line is bad to the 530.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Swap the two coax cables around and see what happens. They are labelled 1 & 2 on the back of the PVR. 1 is the input you use when watching live tv including pausing live tv. 2 is the one that is used to record.

·
Registered
468 Posts
You may have to call a CSR to get them to "activate" the 2nd tuner. Sometimes it's not done automatically when you activated the receiver initially, since you didn't have a second line installed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would try a reset by holding on the power button for about 30 secs on front of machine and then letting it reboot. Had and do have the same problems at times. This seems to help. Also unplugging machine and them plugging back into wall never hurts.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Once you either get your second line fixed (whatever your problem be it a bad coax, conenctor or need to be activated by Shaw), you can power it off and it will record your timers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help folks. I had verified both cables as working right after I first installed it, but switching them back and forth again tonight revealed that one had indeed gone bad since then (the new one). So I climbed onto the roof, and sure enough the clamp-on cable-end I put on the cable had come off. It was still threaded onto the lnb, but the cable was no longer quite connected to it. We've had a lot of rain/wind lately and I guess it eventually let go. I put a better end on it, electrical taped over it too just in case (lol) and it is working again. I will schedule a pvr event and see what happens, although I'm sure that's all it was based on your feedback, and the fact I confirmed it had become undone and was not carrying a signal.

And yes, the red light I meant was the one on the front of the 530 display, to the right of the channel number/time.

I will update the thread after I confirm I can indeed get something added to my 'dvr list'. thanks again

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
"Clamp" on or "crimp" on? I used to use the crimp style until bought a bag of Thomas-Betts snap 'n seal connectors. Wow, what a difference. I'll never go back to crimp connectors again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crimp on, yeah, and they're garbage I guess.

Regarding my empty DVR list, it's still not working. Both lines are working fine, I keep switching them back and forth on input #1, and both are good. I called and they got me to check a secret diagnostic screen etc, everyhthing looks good. I started a recording, and told the CSR that if it doesn't show up in my list I'll just call them back and get it replaced. So that's where I'm at now - the recording has finished, but not listed. Something must just be broken inside it, hdd or whatever. It thinks it's recording, the light is on, the guide shows with the round circle on the program, but after it finishes - blank DVR list. She also said the 2nd tuner did not need to be activated. Stay tuned, I'll update this after I call them again.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The preferred choice is COMPRESSION connectors.
Done properly, the cable will break before it unseats from the connector.
The also self weather seal using an internal gasket.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Try turning on the Live on Disk feature. If you can't pause and playback live tv, then it's the hard drive that's dead. I had the same issue a while back.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My 530 does the exact same thing from time to time.
1st thing I do is a Soft Reset by holding the power button down for 10 seconds -that usually solves the problem.
If that doesn't work I'll try a Hard Reset by unplugging the receiver for 2-3 minutes.
Finally, if that still doesn't work I'll do an automated Refresh over the phone by calling Shaw (your trip counter will increase by one).

The one thing I haven't done is a Factory Reset. It can be done in the hidden menu you spoke of, but I suggest calling Shaw to do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in a similar situation

I just purchased a used 530, with no manual. I have only 1 line hooked up currently, as I haven't fully decided as to which TV will get the PVR. I have the line on input 1, and can pause live TV, skip through commercials when watching on delay, etc. Also, the previous owner has shows on there which I have watched, therefore the hard drive is fine. However, if I attempt to record a show, it will not show up in my list. If I switch my 1 line to input 2, should I be able to record on that input???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts