Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the thread about missed recordings, but is any else seeing some of their recordings cutting out early?

I have experieced this 3 or 4 times now.

The are all weekly programed shows, all should have been 1 hour long (or 1 hour and 3 minutes or whatever it normally does). I lost half an episode of House, Law and Order, Amazing Race and a couple of others. No big deal - only garbage TV but I hate getting into a show and never knowing how it ends. Had to watch the end of the Amazing Race on CTV's web site.

It does not seem to be consistantly reoccuring.

Like some of the discussion in the missed recordings, I wonder if the issue is that the people doing the "schedule" is entering the incorrect time length of the show, so it stops early (ususally at 24 to 28 minutes into the show)

·
Super Moderator
16,865 Posts
If the recording is 1 hour but has the wrong content, the network may be out of sync with the schedule. This could be the network providing the wrong info, a schedule error or the network altering the program because of special events or sports running overtime. The first problem is common on specialty channels but rare on broadcast networks.

If the recordings start on time but are less than an hour, you may be out of disk space or your PVR is rebooting.
What happens when my PVR's storage space is full?
If all your recordings are protected and your PVR's storage space is full, a pop-up will warn you and your PVR will stop recording. You can always free up space by deleting old or unwanted recordings.

How do I see how much recording space I have left on my PVR?
Press MENU, select Settings, General, System information and then System resources. The remaining space available is listed beside disk usage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has happened twice to me odd thing is both times it recorded 38 minutes of the show. I let things be erased to allow new recordings so space should not be an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shortened Recordings

I have had the same thing happening to me. I have all of my records set to "keep until space is needed" but they do not seem to be getting deleted to make room for the new recordings.

·
Super Moderator
16,865 Posts
@bdnboy, Mediaroom starts deleting programs when remaining space reaches 10%. Mediaroom stops recording when remaining space reaches 5%. If you had more than 10% at the time the recording stopped, it wasn't a space problem.

It's possible that these recording interruptions could be caused by power failures or line problems. If the PVR crashes and reboots or there is a power failure, any scheduled recordings should start recording again once the PVR initializes. It takes an extra couple of minutes to start the PVR function after it starts displaying the TV signal.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I had this happen to me for the first time last week - it didn't record the last 8 minutes of "The Daily Show", which I have set up as a scheduled recording on CTVHD Pacific.

I had 70% PVR space remaining, and there were no different schedules that day as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
373 Posts
For the last 3 days, the same happens to every new recording.
I had 29% space remaining. I made some more space yesterday (42%), and some recordings kept being cut short randomly. Sometimes after 8 minutes, sometimes 18, sometimes 27...
A week ago, my box missed a few shows, so I restarted the box, and everything went fine after that.
Since I was trying to re-record something that did not work earlier, I did not get a chance to try the reboot.

Over the years, I've tried BellTV (was named expressVu), Shaw Direct (or Starchoice), and now MTS. Not a single one is able to deliver a PVR that does not have a flaw, event though early EVU receivers were the least prone to problems. What a shame, especially when a MythTV pvr works perfectly fine, as long as you can catch signals OTA, or are willing to degrade the signal to Composite.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Have had it happen on several recording yesterday (Big Bang Theory, Outsourced were two)... I cleaned the Superbowl off the hard drive just before that so space should not be an issue.... disappointing that this happens, you would think that the system could be smart enough to know it is running out and be able to delete something while it is recording something else...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me Too

My recordings were cut short too. It started on the 10th early in the morning, and as the day progressed the recordings got shorter and shorter. Big Bang and Grays were only 4 minutes long. I had 12% free but many of my shows are set to "keep until space needed" so that should not have been an issue.

I restarted my system and it is recording fine.

I called MTS about it today and they said they had multiple reports of the same problem. They are investigating, I guess.

·
Registered
373 Posts
For those interested, a reboot seems to "fix" the issue. Since I did it, all recordings have been complete. Until the next time I guess. Which won't be too long for me since I canceled the service. I'm fed up with the missing recordings, short cuts, rebooting the box every other week, and talking to tech people who find funny that you mention them the same problem that they've heard all day long...
Apparently, they don't miss me since the retention department did not even try, maybe too happy that I would still have to suffer them for another 30 days ! Time to move on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Shameless

I have been having a similar problem, but only with one show. All my other shows have recorded corrrectly except for Shameless. I keep losing the last 6 to 8 minutes. Did this on 2 episodes; haven't finished watching the rest yet. I haven't tried to reset the main PVR box, but worth a shot. I have 54% disk usage, so should be lots of room to record.

·
Super Moderator
16,865 Posts
Mediaroom Bug?

This sounds very similar to a problem that some Telus customers had. The problem just started all of a sudden and according to some employees, Telus was able to get an emergency fix from Microsoft. There haven't been any recent reports of the problem. Telus is on an older version of the client software than MTS, but was preparing for Mediaroom 2.0. Maybe there are changes being made at the head-end that are inadvertently causing these problems.

@Jpegger, since you are only having the problem with one program, you should check that the recorded program length shown when you press the info button is at least 1 hour. Sometimes Movie Central doesn't follow their schedule exactly, so if the length is less than an hour it's an MTS problem, otherwise blame Movie Central.

@Vader, "you would think that the system could be smart enough to know it is running out and be able to delete something while it is recording something else."

I frequently have my hard drive almost full and Mediaroom has no problem deleting programs while recording 3 others, while I'm watching another recording. The only time I have a recording truncated is when I have all my recordings protected and space goes below 5%.

·
Registered
172 Posts
@Vader, "you would think that the system could be smart enough to know it is running out and be able to delete something while it is recording something else."

I frequently have my hard drive almost full and Mediaroom has no problem deleting programs while recording 3 others, while I'm watching another recording. The only time I have a recording truncated is when I have all my recordings protected and space goes below 5%.
Hey Dr.... didn't really think about it that way.... what I was looking for was letting me designate that I want to keep the last 7 episodes but you can erase them if you need the space.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Sorry, I haven't read the thread through, but they found a cause to this issue and it sounds like everything should be back to normal with the PVR functionality.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I don't know if i should go into detail but it had to do with the program guide provider. The bad info should be cleared by now AFAIK.

·
Registered
172 Posts
@Vader, sorry I misinterpreted what you meant. There is a new feature to keep the last 7 episodes, but I'm not sure if it works exactly the way you want.

http://www.mts.ca/portal/site/mts/menuitem.3daf24924ae9c4e50e14081031248a0c/?vgnextoid=81c99799f851b210VgnVCM1000002a040f0aRCRD&vgnextchannel=c0ad4de34611b210VgnVCM1000002a040f0aRCRD
No need to be sorry :) I find your posts very valuable and informative. I was just wondering if it actually worked that way, and by your comment I am guessing that if you say keep last 7 (which I do with all my kids cartoons) that it will actually keep them unless you replace it with another in that series of recordings, but if you hit hard drive capacity while trying to record another series it will not erase that....

·
Super Moderator
16,865 Posts
I think you're right, but I don't use that feature. I mark all my recordings to "keep all until I erase" and decide what to erase when I run low on space.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts