Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I know you can record to DVD or VCR with cable has that is easy to do.But when I try to record with set top box it saying some thing copyright and the DVD recorder will shut down.Here is how it is set up I have composite cable going from DVD to the TV .The main cable comes in from the street to the set top box in jack.I have a other cable going from the cable out jack on the set top box to the DVD recorder cable in jack.. Now when I try to record it saying copyright and the DVD recorder will shut down.

I also read some thing about you cannot record from HDMI or DVI port do to copyright protection.Is that also true ? Does CRTC not allow you to record?

Other way I thought is to get a DVR or some high in rogers set top box also have DVR record on it and watch there and if the program is good record on DVD.Can you have cable going from the DVR out jack to the DVD recorder in jack and record to a DVD ? So you can achieve good shows?

Has for the copyright I thought that was for HD only that is why there is no blu ray recorder and people have to use DVD,VCR or DVR.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My set top box does not have composite and I don't think it has s-video so I do not think it will work like they say in the thread to have hook up that way do to it does not have it .

Copy Generation Management System - Analog (CGMS-A) is a copy protection mechanism for analog television signals. It consists of a waveform inserted into the non-picture Vertical Blanking Interval (VBI) of an analogue video signal. If a compatible recording device (for example, a DVD recorder) detects this waveform, it may block or restrict recording of the video content.

It is not the same as the Broadcast flag, which is designed for use in digital television signals, although the concept is the same.[1] There is a digital form of CGMS specified as CGMS-D which is required by the DTCP ("5C") protection standard.
No idea how this works but I can record if I remove the set top box and have the cable from the street hooked up to the DVD recorder cable in jack and and cable out jack of DVD recorder hooked up to the TV cable in jack and the composite cable going from the DVD to TV.This is the only way I can record but I cannot use the set top box.This what I did before I got the set top box and it worked.

But with the set top box it will not record see the first post in the thread the way it is hooked up.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
What's the make/model of the STB and who is your service provider? I suppose you could use the RF-coax, however, that's going to be mono sound and poor PQ and I'm not sure if the stabilizers use RF-coax... You should likely get a better STB if all it has is RF-coax.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm thinking of getting a high in set top box that has a built in DVR.And have this hooked up to my DVD recorder if I what to save any thing on DVD .Note if this can be done?

And use the old set top box hooked up to the computer .

Note do you know of good book one can get that explain this better?I may have to get high in set top box and I don't think I have all the cables and connecters too.Would Best Buy or Futureshop be the best place to the cables and connecters ?

FAQ - How to Connect a VCR, or DVD Recorder and STB
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76077

FAQ - Cables & Connections
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was reading my problem may be do to I have two video outputs from the set-top box;.

1.main cable comes in from the street to the set top box in jack
2.HDMI going from the set top box to the TV.
3.I have a other cable going from the cable out jack on the set top box to the DVD recorder cable in jack
4.I have composite cable going from DVD recorder to the TV .

I was reading I should have the main cable comes in from the street to the set top box in jack , use no HDMI cable going from a set top box to the TV but Connect video out (composite) from set-top box to Line in in DVD recorder and Connect Component out from DVD recorder to TV Input.

It be SD but at least I can use the set top box and record.

Or I will have to get a video processer.It think it thinks I'm recording of HDMI and you can never record of HDMI do to copy protection.I would have to get a HD DVR if I want to record HD.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
57 are you saying this will not work ? You posted this in that thread .

1. Split the "incoming" "audio/video RF-coax" with a two way splitter - one coax to the STB input, one to the VCR input. (use a good splitter rated at 5-1000 MHz, bidirectional) (This step is not necessary for satellite STBs since a VCR/DVD Recorder cannot record satellite without the STB. It's also not necessary if you always want to record from your cable STB)
2. Connect the STB to the VCR via S-video, or composite video (your preference - use composite if you don't have an S-VCR, or there is no s-video connection on either device).
3. Connect the STB to the TV via S-video or composite video (opposite of what you did in 2). (if you have an HD STB you can use the component video or DVI/HDMI cables instead). (If you don't have a second video output, you can put a "Y-connector" on the signal output (usually composite)
4. Connect the VCR to the TV via the same type cable as in 2. (If using a DVD recorder, then you can use component video cables, or HDMI for this connection for better picture quality)
Are you saying this will not work above? What about this..

main cable comes in from the street to the set top box in jack , use no HDMI cable going from a set top box to the TV but Connect video out (composite) from set-top box to Line in in DVD recorder and Connect Component out from DVD recorder to TV Input.

Who is putting this CGMA-a on the programs or cable company?

Why can't you use HDMI .I don't understand this copyright stuff.Alot of the links you giving me is very very very advance stuff .I'm not even sure what this called telecommunication.May be some in collage taking telecommunication will understand this .I don't even know what this is called so cannot get books at the library to read up on this to better understand this.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Who is putting this CGMA-a on the programs or cable company?
The studio that produced the material. It's done on a programme by programme basis. The service provider simply passes the signal to the consumer.
What about this.. main cable comes in from the street to the set top box in jack , use no HDMI cable going from a set top box to the TV but Connect video out (composite) from set-top box to Line in in DVD recorder and Connect Component out from DVD recorder to TV Input.
Even if you don't use HDMI, I cannot guarantee that it will record. It's totally dependent on the equipment. The only "sure" way is with the most recent video stabilizer if you get the "not allowed to record" message on your DVD recorder.

The FAQ on how to connect things, only illustrates the connections you need. If the CGMS-a signal is present, and the DVD recorder "honours" the signal, then the only workaround is the appropriate stabilizer between the STB and the recorder, which "strips" the CGMS-a signal so that the DVD recorder will record.

Remember that this is an escallating arms race and that the stabilizer you purchase today may not work on a new signal they develop in a couple of years, as discussed in the CGMS-a thread, where people have had to purchase newer stabilizers. I believe nothing much will happen on this front though since very few people are using DVD recorders and the studios now have bigger fish to fry.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The studio that produced the material. It's done on a programme by programme basis. The service provider simply passes the signal to the consumer.

And the laws allows them to do that ?In thread you posted it said some thing about a guy calling the CRTC and service provider many times to find out at the end the set top box was picking it up or some thing.

Why is it I can record TV shows if I do not use any set top box ?

where people have had to purchase newer stabilizers. I believe nothing much will happen on this front though since very few people are using DVD recorders and the studios now have bigger fish to fry.
Is that why there is no blu ray recorder? And where would one get a stabilizers.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
And the law allows them to do that ?
Sure does.

Why is it I can record TV shows if I do not use any set top box ?
As discussed in the links in the CGMS-a thread, the signal is for "record once" and if you feed the signal directly to the recorder, it is able to "record once". If you go through a STB, then the DVD recorder often will not record, as outlined in the following post. I do suggest you read the links I've provided since your answers are there, even if it's hard slogging:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=512343&postcount=140

Is that why there is no blu ray recorder?
Yes, at least in North America.

And where would one get a stabilizers.
Search the web for "video stabilizer". Make sure you get the most recent model.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As discussed in the links in the CGMS-a thread, the signal is for "record once" and if you feed the signal directly to the recorder, it is able to "record once". If you go through a STB, then the DVD recorder often will not record, as outlined in the following post. I do suggest you read the links I've provided since your answers are there, even if it's hard slogging:
I looked at the link and the only thing I can dig up is this but still does not explain why.

8. Sometimes, if you use component video cables instead of HDMI from the STB to the TV, the problem can go away
I read some thing about HDMI and HD is the problem not sure why .

Why is it the laws in the past allow you to get a VCR and record and the laws do not allow it now?

Why is it getting harder and harder to record and they fear a blu ray recorder is so bad the have to pass law saying no blu ray recorder?

Well hooking it up to a computer or getting a stabilizer may be a work around if I want to record of the set top box.

How long has CGMS been around ? I read in a thread you post about from 2005 to now is very hard to record but before 2005 was better why was that

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
I looked at the link and the only thing I can dig up is this but still does not explain why.
Try reading the following from the same post:
2. The programmes are tagged "copy once".

However.

3. Some DVD recorders are refusing to even copy once.

4. The manufacturers of these recorders could not explain why (to my professional contacts).

5. It is postulated that the DVD recorder manufacturers can not guarantee the disk they create is not copyable, so they don't make even one copy...
Why is it the laws in the past allow you to get a VCR and record and the laws do not allow it now?
1. VCRs did respect macrovision so that you could not record copy protected material like purchased tapes or DVDs onto VCRs from DVD players or other VCRs.
2. VCR have such poor quality that no-one cares any more.
3. There have been almost no VCRs sold lately - again no one cares about VCRs any more
4. When people started purchasing and using DVD recorders to record broadcast TV, they decided to preclude making more than one copy - so that you could time-shift, but not make copies of your recording for others - hence the "copy once" flag - these recorders were used without STBs. They did not implement the more harsh "copy never" flag, however, when STBs came into play, it became difficult to copy to DVD recorders that respected the flag. This is mostly a non-issue now since so few people use DVD recorders and STBs since the hookups and programming these to work is so convoluted.. The "geeks" use HTPCs and most people use PVRs for time-shifting.

How long has CGMS been around ? I read in a thread you post about from 2005 to now is very hard to record but before 2005 was better why was that
5. As indicated in the link in the CGMS-a thread to the Wikipedia site, CGMS-a has been around since about 1995, not 2005 - 1995 is roughly when DVD recorders came to market and in anticipation of DVRs like TiVo. Earlier DVD recorders didn't have the technology to "respect" CGMS-a, that's why it became an issue later - like say 2005. Also the studios didn't bother with CGMS-a much before then for their programming. Also, sometimes the service provider's STBs "stripped" the CGMS-a signal, but the studios asked them not to strip the signal.

6. HDMI and HD has nothing to do with CGMS-a since HDMI and HD are digital while CGMS-a (the a stands for) Analogue. Please do not confuse the various other flags around which affect other aspects that we are not discussing here. (5C, Broadcast, HDCP, etc)

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You still did not answer this question.

Note I had no problems in past recording to set top box came around and seems do it more if you are using HDMI.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Note spelling I was trying to say in the past I had no problem recording to I got a set top box.And HD set top box are impossible to record.

I was reading some thing about HDMI and HD and copying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts