Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Checking to see if this is a option and I missed it somewhere.

2 instances,

1. Lots of repeats get taped and I have to go and Manually check them and delete them.

2. Change of timeslot due to Reality shows.

I have no ordinary family being taped on Tuesday. Because of Dancing with the Stars they decided to move it to Saturday just for this week. Well I missed it because I was not informed.

Is there a option To only Record new episodes?

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
That option is not available with Rogers Ontario, probably due to the inferior IPG we get from TV Guide Canada. Discussed often on this forum.

I've been monitoring the providers that have this option and they also run into issues since the IPG they get is not 100% accurate, so they often miss programmes or record too many...

My suggestion is to record them all and delete. This is especially true if the programme typically only airs once or twice a week. It's a totally different issue if the programme airs many times a week like some of the HBO or Discovery or NG programmes. With those I always set single recordings.

TiVo seems to be the only service that is mostly "error free" but that's because TiVo customers pay a lot for the IPG.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
I've been using this functionality on BELL TV reliably for the past year. Occasionally it will record an episode that is not new. But I've never had it miss a new episode. I'm shocked that Rogers doesn't provide this ability to it's Ontario customers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
"First Run only"

Today I noticed a new item on the 'info' screen for a program I was watching. A little "New" icon. I then checked the recording pages for that show, and when I set up to record all episodes, there is now a "First Run only on this channel" option.
Have not had an opportunity to check it out yet, but this may be a part of the new firmware (version 1.92.16.101).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Today I noticed a new item on the 'info' screen for a program I was watching. A little "New" icon. I then checked the recording pages for that show, and when I set up to record all episodes, there is now a "First Run only on this channel" option.
Have not had an opportunity to check it out yet, but this may be a part of the new firmware (version 1.92.16.101).
You beat me to reporting this new feature. It is not associated with the new firmware as this feature has just appeared, but the firmware was released about a month ago.

There is one quirk. If you select a program from the guide and select "First Run", but this is not the first time that it is being broadcast, the program will not be highlighted as being scheduled for recording. The same thing happens if you change a scheduled recoding from one of the previous options.. it just goes away.

It will be interesting to see what happens when a program has been set for "First Run" and "All Episodes", and there are no more recordings on the horizon after the first one has been recorded.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just noticed the "First Run" option has appeared, I have an 8300HD in Mississauga. I haven't tested it yet.

I noticed my PVR rebooted at 6:38PM (it was off at the time, nobody home at the time), which seems like an odd time to reboot. Not sure if that has something to do with it.

I wonder if there are any other new features?

·
Registered
520 Posts
TiVo seems to be the only service that is mostly "error free" but that's because TiVo customers pay a lot for the IPG.
My appology for discussing a different provider, but as Jase88 stated, this is a normal function with Bell's PVR system. It can identify whether or not the progam is a movie, as it auto preselects the 'Once' option. For series shows, it has 'All Episodes' selected by default (9200, 9241/42, 6131/41) I think the 5900 choses "New Episodes' by default. If it is duplicate event, it will automatically skip the event.

From what I've observerd, in the program information:

If the it program has an episode #, than it considered an a series of shows, and the PVR's Create Timer screen preselects 'All Episodes'. I usually change this to 'New Episodes'. In my case, it considers the original air date, and skips it if it's any older than today.

If it has a rating, it's usually considered a movie, and the PVR's Create Timer screen has 'Once' selected.

There are shows that dont include original air dates, but as long as you know the schedule, than you can create a manual timer.

I know these features, in addition to the 30 second skip forward, and 10 second skip back aren't available on most/all of Rogers PVR's, but cant you make a manual timer for lets say tusdays 8-9pm on Rogers's PVR atleast?

·
Registered
160 Posts
8642 PVR now has "First Run Only on this Channel"

I noticed today while programming next weeks shows that my 8642 has a new option for Recording All Episodes.
The new option is "First Run Only on this Channel"
Not sure how it will know it's the "first run" of a program since the description on 4 episodes of "The Glades" 533 Sun night was the same for each one ????

When I tried to use the new option on The Glades it wouldn't take the recording.
So probably the "New" designation was missing from the Glades info box so it didn't recognize it a being "First Run" and didn't set up the recording.
I have seen a "New" logo shown on some programs such as: Desert Car Kings on Disc Wed 10pm

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
^^^^
I tried it on a show I often watch, but the one currently on the schedule is a rerun. It accepted the selection, but that partitcular show is not scheduled to be recorded. I'll have to keep an eye on it to see what happens.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I setup a recording of The Voice on Tuesday night for 2 hours. I added 3 minutes and selected the "first run" option. It scheduled the Wednesday night 1 hour episode and also included my extra 3 minute padding I added to the original . . . nice!

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
don't forget that certain channels don't have the "NEW" flag even though the program is new. For example HD A&E, Discovery (non-HD).

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I'd assume that, in the event of the "new" flag being absent, the PVR will take the safe choice and assume it's new. Who can confirm?

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I'll make a recording to A&E tonight and see what happen. They're showing 4 back-to-back episodes of Gene Simmons' Family Jewels: 2 new episodes and 2 old episodes, none of them are marked. I'll report back here tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
By the way, how do you know they are marked? Is it marked as such in the EPG? The guide data comes in as XML, I believe, and what's in the EPG is certainly gleaned from that, but I don't know if I'd trust the EPG display 100%.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
there is actually "NEW" tag on the screen when you highlight that particular show.

·
Registered
160 Posts
To: wprager --
If you selected only to record "First Run" episodes then the PVR will NOT record anything that doesn't have "NEW" in the description !!
So if it is a new episode and it's not marked new then it will not be recorded.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Tried to do back-to-back "new" recording and the PVR records the 1st one and missed the 2nd one completely although both marked as new.

Well, so much for that feature.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
^^^^
Were they the same show? If so, that's what it's supposed to do.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts