Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My mom recently got a DCT700 (Shaw is going all digital, so no choice in the matter). She wants to continue to use her VCR, but we've been having issues getting here VCR to record programs.

Reading other posts on this forum, I think I understand the steps needed to record a show on her VCR, but would like someone to confirm these...

1. Set up a record time on the DCT for the desired channel/time. This doesn't "record" anything but simply turns on the DCT at the correct time and tunes to the correct channel.

2. Set up the record time on the VCR. The VCR needs to be set to record line and not a channel because the channel will be whatever the DCT is tuned to and fed through the line.

So, does this mean that it's impossible to record a show on the VCR while watching a different show at the same time on the TV/DCT (without the use of a splitter)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Pretty much, if it's her primary tv. If it's a secondary tv set, she could hook up her VCR the way she does now, without the DCT700, but she'd be limited to the Basic Cable lineup if she did that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts