Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good UPS to use with the PVR and External drive? Ideally, I'd want one that can plug in multiple devices for surge protection for anything that does not need battery backup.

I would think a 30 - 45 minute backup time would be ideal to cover most situations.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I use a Power Saving Back-UPS Pro 700. It has a nice LED status display, low energy footprint, front panel controls and a reasonable price. The power saving feature can be turned on or off from the front panel. I found the cheapest way to buy this is directly from APC. Other places charge a premium and/or more for shipping. You will get close to an hour run time with a 50w load, which is typical for a PVR. If you have an old UPS of any make, APC will give a discount for the old unit.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Almost any 500-750 VA UPS will do the trick, provided it has the plugs you need. They are often on sale for as little as $50. If you want more, you can pay more. I also recommend APC - I have 3 of them in various parts of my home. I looked at BB and FS - no good sales right now.

Some of the newer ones have a "master/control" outlet which switches off other outlets, when the device connected there is switched off. More money of course.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I wouldn't purchase a UPS from FS or BB. They charge a 20% premium over suggested retail for APC products and sell modified units that sometimes have features removed. For example, the APC BR1000G is sold as a BX1000G-CA by FS for $30 more. Not sure about this model but previous products with the BX designation had a voltage regulation feature missing. At one time, the BX models were considerably cheaper than the BR models but Canadian retailers have jacked up the prices in recent years. I purchased a couple of BR700Gs earlier this year. With Trade-UPS and other promotions, they cost about $90 each. That was not much more than a new battery for one of the old models and these new UPS models use less power and have more features. You could always go with a cheaper model but some of them are not very good due to short run times and missing features.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Staples seems to carry the most variety. No sales but the prices seem somewhat reasonable.

The model APC Back-UPS ES 750VA has 10 outlets (5 with backup power) and can last up to 85 minutes. I would think if I only plugged in the DVR and drive and the rest were on the non-battery outlets, it would get the full 85 minutes from it since there would be so little power usage (unless a recording was going on).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Is one of these UPS thingies really recommended/required if I already have a rogers PVR extender and a surge protector? What's the exposure sans UPS?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe there is a risk of losing all of your recordings that exist on the external drive.

The Iomega drive that I have says that you should never remove power from the hard drive before powering down the PVR. It even states that if this happens during a recording, there is a chance that, upon power-up, it will ask you to reformat the drive again.

Given that we all get occasional power blips, I'd hate to come home one day and find that I've lost 80% of my recordings due to that.

I am not sure if the same possibility exists with the "Rogers" branded PVR extender, but I would bet the risk exists.

It's like an insurance policy for me.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
PVRs, especially ones with eHDDs seem to not like (unexpected - when recording for example) power outages, even short ones. A UPS is recommended and it will provide Surge protection in addition to battery backup.

As discussed in the eHDD thread, I recommend that anyone with a PVR have a UPS - it provides protection and it also allows you to continue recording during short outages since the cable is usually working. A power drop while reading/writing to a HDD is not good for the HDD.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23773

·
Registered
626 Posts
Is one of these UPS thingies really recommended/required if I already have a rogers PVR extender and a surge protector? What's the exposure sans UPS?
The advantage of having a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) when using a PVR is that if you suffer a loss of power during a recording you won't lose the recording. It will just carry on without interruption or at least until the battery runs out on the UPS. With just a surge protector there is no battery to take over in the event of power loss.

I picked up a APC XS1300 (same as a BX1300 but made for the Canadian Market) at Future Shop a while ago, can't remember what i paid. I have a BellTV 9200 PVR, AppleTV, 46" Sony LCD HDTV and Sony STR-DE945 110 W per channel AV Receiver hooked up to it.

With all devices turned on the UPS will last approx. 20 mins with a 220 W load. With everything turned off (the PVR and AppleTV are actually in a standby mode which consumes about the same power as if they are turned on) the UPS will last approx. 60 min. with an 80 W load. Now, the UPS is about a year old so the battery isn't as strong as it use to be so take that into consideration. I chose this unit because I liked the LCD display that told me a lot of information about the load and run times.

Future Shop has the BX1000 and Best Buy has the BX1300. Staples has them both. These units are the same specs as the BR1000/BR1300 shown on the APC web site as far as I can tell. CDW Canada carries both the BR and older RS models. You can check their respective web sites for prices.

Regarding the comment by ScaryBob about missing features from the units being sold by Future Shop/Best Buy. I'm not aware of any and I've checked the specs. The only difference I'm aware of is that the older XS and newer BX models are made for the Canadian market only and carry a different model designation. The RS and BR are sold worldwide.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Interesting. Intuitively it seems prudent to avoid a "race" condition while powering up a PVR and a separately-powered eHDD. Not sure that exposure exists for a PVR having only an internal-only drive, or else I was lucky for several years with the 8300HD and many power outages... an uninspiring interface & feature set but great reliability.

I know this isn't the Bell forum, but speaking of eHDDs and the Bell 9200, based on the posts above it would seem to be very advisable to always use a UPS with a Bell 6131, right? Dang it, I recommended a 6131 to a relative last week without knowledge of this vulnerability. Losing or interrupting a single recording may not be a big deal, but losing everything or necessitating a reformat would be significant.

·
Registered
626 Posts
CORRECTION: ScaryBob is right there are feature differences between the RS and the XS models. Apparently the same differences are not true with the newer BX/BR models.

From the APC knowledge base:

There are basically 2 differences between the Back-UPS RS and the Back-UPS XS models besides their names.

1. The Back-UPS RS models have both 1-line 2-wire phone/fax/modem data-line protection and 10/100base-T ethernet protection, where as the Back-UPS XS models only has 1-line 2-wire phone/fax/modem protection.

2. The Back-UPS RS models have both Boost* and Trim** as features of Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR), where as the Back-UPS XS only has Boost. When the input voltage increases above the high transfer point of a Back-UPS XS model it will only go to battery.

*AVR Boost: The UPS is compensating for a low utility voltage. While the UPS can run in this mode indefinitely without any negative impact on the UPS, the circuit should be checked by a qualified electrician if the utility voltage is consistently low.

**AVR Trim: The UPS is compensating for a high utility voltage. While the UPS can run in this mode indefinitely without any negative impact on the UPS, the circuit should be checked by a qualified electrician if the utility voltage is consistently high.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Consideration if you have an amplified splitter

Something a few people will have to consider if they want to (possibly) continue recording during a power failure, by putting a UPS on the PVR:
If the PVR's cable input comes from an AC powered amplified splitter, make sure that it's on a UPS as well.

I made a long extension cable for the DC side of the AC adapter that powers my splitter, which is located in the basement, so I could plug it into the same UPS that my PVR is on.

Provided that the power failure is local, and the cable signal remains active during it, recordings won't be lost until the UPS runs out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts