Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know this is really off-topic but I need a new router as I'm giving away my aging Linksys WRT-54GL to my sister. When I buy electronics, I purchase with the mindset it won't be out of date within 5 years. I can't afford the RT-N16 which is the best one of the market right now. I don't torrent anymore but I do download 24/7 from newsgroups, use my WDTV media player daily, voip and surfing all at once

I'm deciding between the ASUS RT-N12, N13U and N-15.

N12
$35
Tomato firmware supported
300mhz
32MB RAM
4MB Flash
No gigabit ports

N15
$38
Not supported by Tomato
266mhz
32MB RAM
8MB Flash
5 Gigabit ports

N13U
$28
Not supported by Tomato
384mhz
64MB RAM
8MB Flash
4 Gigabit ports

Basically I've been using tomato since I bought my WRT-54GL (2006). I've heard the N13U has a good interface. Let me know what you guys would do. As you can see, I've put a lot of thought into this, lol

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I've been using the Linksys WRT610N Rev 2 which is a pretty good router. It allows DD-WRT to be installed too. Three weeks ago I bought a Netgear WNDR3700 and find it amazing. The QoS in this router beats any QoS I've ever come across. This is with the Netgear firmware. It handles voip extremely well. With the other router, I would occasionally experience a short dropout at the beginning of a download while on the phone. There's none with this router. I also noticed an increase in overall speed. For example, I have 30 Mbps down speed. With the QoS turned on in DD-WRT I was getting 27.90 Mbps. QoS off I was getting 31.10 Mbps. With the WNDR3700 I get 31.10 Mbps even with QoS on. Yet there are no dropouts or issues at all with voip. I'm not sure how Netgear did it, but they seem to have more intelligent QoS.

The router was on sale for $129 at BestBuy & Futureshop. I don't know if the sale is still on. Oh yes, the WNDR37AV router is identical to the WNDR3700. It uses the same firmware too, but the cost is $169 just because it's a bit newer. I bought that one first then returned it when the WNDR3700 went on sale. I don't see any difference. My revision number is 01R9.

It works well with streaming video, and it works well with Voip.ms. I recommend it.

As far as getting something that's outdated tomorrow - sorry. No matter what you buy today in electronics will be outdated tomorrow. So just buy the best there is at this time and be happy with it until you can justify a re-purchase.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts