Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I just got my 5900, and I'd like to get a universal remote for it. I'm currently using an One For All 8017, and it controls the 5900 quite well, the only things it can't do is the PVR functions. Well I can set a PVR event via the guide, but I can't pause or rewind live TV or a recorded program, and since my 8017 is starting to fail (it's fallen one to many times), I'd like to get a new one, preferably one that can perform all the of the PVR functions.

I'm considering getting the One For All 8811, which doesn't not officially control a PVR, but it's a learning remote, so I assume that I can program the 5900's PVR commands. Has any one tried this? I'm also looking at the 9911, but again it is not officially a PVR remote. Keep in mind that I do not want to spend more the $50 or so (which is a pain given the 9911 is $80).

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd love to have a Harmony remote, but they're way out of my budget. They start at $200 at Future Shop. But I hear they are great remotes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fatbob,

Watch for one on eBay. Sometimes you can get a deal.

The Harmony remotes are wonderful, especially if you have any remote-ophobics in the house (i.e. wife, children, etc.). Be sure to check the upper-end ones with dedicated PVR-type buttons.

Al

·
Banned
173 Posts
RE: Universal Remote

I have a Sony RM-AV3000 remote. It will replace "any" remote. (save UHF). LCD touch screen, learning, macros. I use it with my whole home entertainment system.
Good Luck
Bill

·
Registered
132 Posts
I tried a Harmony 768 & 659, but I went back to my Home Theatre Master MX-500.

I liked the idea of the Harmony, but found that the MX-500 worked better for me. It can be had for around $80 US, and with the Cdn $ being as good as it is, that's a steal!
I got mine from www.bluedo.com Great service & Prices...

You can check out reviews for most universal remotes at www.remotecentral.com

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I have to second the MX-500....GREAT remote; does things the way I want it done, and doesn't over-automate things.

I tried three different Harmony remotes, but always liked the ease, learning, customizability, readability, and the in-depth programmability of it.

And I prefer it to the higher-end MX700, MX800, etc. because it has both the (for PVR use) FFD/REW as well as SKIP AHEAD, SKIP BACK keys around the selection keys; the "better" ones only have FFD/REW and you have to find another pair of keys to serve as the SKIP FWD/BWD (or chapter skip on DVDs) button.

Got it for $100US on ebay a couple years ago - couldn't imagine living with anything else.
(And even the wife has it figured out! :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Kameleon Remote Control

I have the Kameleon Remote 6 in 1 and like it. Not the best and battery life is not the greatest, but does everything I need.
I control a Panasonic TV, Pioneer DVR-220, Panasonic VCR, Bell 5100, Technics DX-940 Receiver and Techincs CD Player.
Controlled everything out of the box with exception to the Pioneer DVD recorder, and a call to the tech line fixed that with an update to the remote over the phone.
I have seen the 4 in 1 Kameleons at Walmart for around $40.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got the Harmony 5900 for $100 during the Boxing Day sale at Future Shop. It is awesome! My old RCA universal remote had such a limited memory I could only use the guide and arrow buttons for my second satellite receiver. With the Harmony I can control ALL functions of ALL my devices. And it is very easy to add more functions or devices. When we watch a DVD I press one button. All inputs are selected, it puts my TV in widescreen mode and turns the volume up 10 notches! All I need now are remote control lights so the remote can dim the lights as well!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies guys.

The MX-500 looks pretty interesting. I assume it has no problems with a PVR? I'm not sure if I like the lack up buttons compared to the OFA remotes. I mean like the OFA has dedicated DVD buttons, so they're easier to find. Somehow I think my wife would find a OFA easier to control compared to the MX-500. But still the MX-500 looks very interesting.

The Harmony 628 at Costco is also another very interesting remote. A bit out of my budget, but still worth a look.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ofa

Before my Kameleon, I had a non-learning OFA 7in1 remote. It did everything with some moving of commands to other keys. But it is good. Its down fall is that I could not add to it. My VCR was sacrificed for the DVD player, and it could not change my audio rcvr to TV after. But that was it.
It cost me $20 at Walmart about 3 or 4 yrs ago. My wife hates the blue wonder, and continues to use the old OFA.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Harmony 628

I've got a Harmony 628 and LOVE IT. You can program it to do everything online. Mine controls my 5900 PVR, big screen, stereo, dvd and even makes toast and coffee in the morning. WOO HOO!!

Now here is the deal. You must prey upon a technophobe with lots of money. In my case, my father-in-law could never figure out how to run his home theatre and my mother-in-law was even worse. So, he bought 2 Harmony 628's, one for him and one for me. I got it for free on the condition that I set his up for him...what a deal.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I use my MX-500 with my Moto 6208 PVR. The only adjustment I needed to make when I went to a PVR was I needed to re-program the Guide,Menu, Exit, & Info buttons onto the LCD. I also added a page UP and page Down button to the LCD. This lets me use the transport controls solely for the PVR functions. I have standard FFWD & Rewind as well as 30 second Skip, and 15 second 'back' functions. No problems whatsoever.

With the LCD screen each device ( 10 device total) can have 20 custom 'buttons' (2 pages of 10) Even though many other universal remotes have programmable buttons, you can't label them as easily. The harmony has this to some extent, but not as good as the MX-500.

I'm not sure what all the advantages are to the MX-700, MX-800, but the price hikes considerably with these higher models.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a MX-500. I have programmed all functions for PVR, HD, Receiver and DVD. Another advantage of the MX-500 is when you have a second one, you can download the command of one onto the other. Neat.

The MX-700/800 has an interface to computer which can be used to programmed the remote. Very useful. I would have upgraded but the price difference between the MX-500 and MX700/800 may not be worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pronto

I am using a Pronto TSU 2000 remote which allows me to customize it's touchscreen interface.

I suggest you check out www.remotecentral.com for great comparisons and info on a wide assortment of remotes from cheap to $$$.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts