Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to migrate to VOIP in the very near future and would like some advice in regards to the ATA device. What would you recommend ... the PAP2T or SPA2102 ? The difference in price is $11 at CanadaComputers but that's not the deciding factor. My current setup is:

Outside Cable -> Modem -> Router -> Network

Also, I plan to use voip.ms based on the satisfaction level of the members, and I currently have Rogers Express (10Mbps down, 512Kbps up, 60Gb cap) If required, I can even upgrade to the Express package (15Mbps down, 1Mbps up, 80Gb cap) with the $$ I save from the phone line.

Thnx in advance ...
vn33

·
Registered
569 Posts
Since you already have a router, I don't see any value in buying an ATA w/ integral router, but the SPA has two minor advantages over the PAP2T;

1. It can run two simultaneous G729 calls.
2. It supports T.38 fax

In the case of (1), you can run simultaneous calls on the PAP2T, but it will use another codec for the second call if the first is using G729. My PAP2T is quite happy running simultaneous calls on the MUCH higher quality G711 codec, so this is a non-issue for most.

Your own needs will dictate if (2) is a requirement.

BTW, VoIP.ms will do just fine on your Express connection, there should be no need to upgrade to Extreme unless you need the higher data rates and cap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you kindly for your reply ...

I doubt I will have a need for a fax machine, as this is only to replace my home line. I also plan to use the best quality codec so I guess this is a non-issue since you indicated that's what you're using. This means I can get two separate VOIP phone lines, with separate numbers, correct ?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yes, the PAP2T supports two lines. You need to have at least 1 line tied to a DID (phone #) so people can call you.

You have options with the 2nd line;

- Setup as a dedicated phone number.

- Setup as a sub-account, which allows for Outgoing calls, plus you can route Line1 calls to this sub-account on Busy/Failover/Specific CallerID/Time of Day etc.

Yes, I set my ATA to force the highest quality codec (G711) for both lines, but I went the L1=DID, L2=subaccount route and often have calls going on both lines simultaneously.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You may also want to consider skipping an ATA altogether and purchasing IP phones. I love them.
Certainly offers MUCH greater flexibility, but at a much higher price. Without an ATA, OP would have to replace every phone in his/her house at a cost of >$100 per phone vs. one-time $50 for a PAP2T ATA

A valid option if one has commited to VoIP, but IMHO, not such a good idea for one just testing the waters.

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
^^^^
Another alternative, for those with smart phones, is to install a soft phone client. They're avaialble for Android, iPhone and Blackberry. This way, you can use the soft phone as a "cordless phone" at home via WiFi, as well as when away from home on the wireless carrier. You might even be able to get away with just a data plan for your smart phone and not have to pay for a cell phone plan.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Vn33, If your router doesn't have QOS then the SPA would be better since in could be placed between the modem and router.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think my router has QOS option ... it's an old Linksys wired router which I use as a gateway for my network. I don't use my home phone that much ... and I don't overload my Internet connection that much. That should be OK, right ?

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
^^^^
Given that you have no control over the rest of the internet, QoS only on your router won't make much of a difference.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have the PAP2T and find that the outgoing voice packets tend to break up even if I am just surfing around while talking because the upload bandwidth is so much smaller than download. It's not horrible break-up, but it's noticeable.

I have an integrated modem/router, but since you have a separate router you could go modem->SPA->router->computer, and the built in router of the SPA will ensure that the voice packets are prioritized. I've heard that it's QOS isn't quite as good as a decent router can do (i.e. Tomato), but it may make the outgoing audio sound a bit better than the PAP2t without QOS.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for your input ... I may just go with the SPA, since the price difference on CanadaComputers is just $11. At least it will give me some flexibility.
vn33

·
Registered
1 Posts
Difference between SPA-2102 & PAP2T

I sell IP PBX (telephone systems) and some clients have fax machines that I can connect using the SPA-2102 which works great with fax machines. The problem is, postage machines/credit card and Check cashing terminals won't work on it. I've tried the PAP2T and found the postage machines, credit card & check cashing terminals work great but not the fax machines (at all).

Can someone tell me why? I do lower the rtp from .3 to .2 on both machines and set them up both to use G.711.

SPA-2102: Fax machines
PAP2T: credit card terminals, postage machines, check cashing terminals

Can I make one of these (SPA-2102 or PAP2T) work with all of these?????????????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts