Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a week ago I fanagled a deal with telus in Ont, to switch up to a smartphone blackberry 9800. From my little Lg keybo 9100.
Problems from the start, no sim card in box when phone was delivered.
After an hour of setup on the phone no internet access, turn phone on in am and got an error sim card invalid, learned to remove the battery 20 times as one problem after another..it even told me my phone wasn't activated when i needed to make a call. Telus blames it on the phone and said they will send a box to send this bad phone back and once they receive it they will send a new replacemenet with a new sim card. That was on Thursday...still waiting.
They re activated my old phone 4 now. One of the reasons I got this smartphone was they said it would work on the subway and underground as several of my friends phones do....havn't tryed it on the subway but it dies once in the underground. When I asked about that they denied saying that and said no phones work in those conditions. I said I want out of this and they assured me the replacement phone will solve my "lemon" issues.
Has anyone heard of problems with telus and the smartphones? Suggestions welcome..cheers.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Telus in Ontario uses Bell's network for 3G so it's generally a decent network (not great, but decent). I had a BB 9700 for about 9 months with Telus it was okay. I've found Rogers' 3G to be slightly better but they have their issues and problem areas as well so overall the two are pretty close in terms of quality. It does sound like you got a dud for a phone so hopefully your replacement will work better.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
No networks work on the subway in Toronto, though some might get very weak reception on the upper levels of some stations. I'm not sure what you mean by the "underground" but if you mean the PATH then I believe Rogers, Bell/Telus, and Wind all have reception down there.

It sounds to me like you may just have a bad SIM card. I would have taken it directly to a Telus store to have them deal with it. Hopefully your new one shows up soon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It won't work in most of the subway system. Some shallow stations will have services.
There has been lots of talk about getting cell networks in the tunnels but nothing has come of it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just want to note that I have a Torch through Bell.

I'm pretty sure I had to call them to activate the internet access. The Sim card was included in the packaging, and I've never had as many issues with the phone as you seem to have had. So a replacement was a good idea. You shouldn't have to pull out the battery as many time as you did.

Also, iDEN is a really good option for reception, if Telus/Bell's reception is poor. iDEN = Mike = Telus.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By Telus reps telling me that yes your new 3g phone will work on the subway and in your underground parking....which was one big reason I went to a smartphone....they missrepesented themselves....then when calling them back eventually they said no it won.t work in those conditions...This was all done over the phone and the phone was delivered to my residence so going to a telus store does not work.....anyone wanting to go this route I suggest going to a store and letting them set up the phone for you.
Technically this contract with telus relying on the misrepresentation that the cell phone under telus would be operatable in underground parking and subway has proven incorrect. The contract therefore is invalid and i could put telus on notice that i am recinding the agreement.(I talked to my lawyer friend)
However since hearing that this is not unusual for it not to work on subways and underground and the deal I haggled was a good one I'll try to see if the new phone is less problematic...as the first. I have to admit since being with telus since 1997 the level of customer service has dropped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i watched someone on the cellphone a blackberry 9000 from rogers talking on bbm at younge/bloor didnt seem to have issues....it must be random come and go thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts