Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

221 - 240 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow - you are so right. So did the 82w beam change as well? I used to get the 82w satellite with my 20" dish... I had both pointed right about three years ago.

Thanks, I'll try on 91w first then. I think another problem I may have is my dish mount location - our garage building faces mostly south. The dish is mounted on the right hand wall of the garage (the west side) below the eaves at the rear and is turned to face mostly towards the front of the garage. Now suspect the front of the garage building itself might be partially blocking the left hand side of the signal from the dish, further reducing it. I assumed I could see the proper location of the sat in the sky from that location, but now I'm not sure. I might be needing at an alternate dish location. Maybe I'll start with it on a pole in the middle of the driveway just for testing.

We have Dish as well mounted in the same location on the garage, but those sats are further west I think and therefore not obstructed by the garage.

Also, to rule out issues with the receiver, my 9242 has never been initialized - and I'm not sure if it's added to my account yet. Should I do that first, or can I just use it to point the dish to get signals? Or should I use my old 3100 to point the dish? I have a DPP as well as the original single LNB.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The 3100 will only pick up signals from 1 or 2 transponders on 82º. I can't be certain which ones. Some one will list them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks I guess I'll try the 9242 then, since I'll be shooting for the new satellite instead of 82w. I guess now the only thing is whether to use the original LNB to point the dish, or the DPP lnb I have in there now, in which case I'll use tinfoil as described elsewhere. Temperatures here are supposed to rise this weekend and be less Arctic-like, so hopefully I can go outside and try this without freezing my butt off.

I'll report back - thanks.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Aim with the old Legacy LNBF in the 91 slot on the "Y" yolk, making sure the skew is already set before aiming. Then simply replace with the DPP Twin and run a Check Switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newbie need info

Hello you guys have an awesome forum.I have a few questions so here goes.I want to get your belltv nfl sunday ticket package but want to hookup a dish myself.Can I get your satellite in Indiana and if so do you know the coordinates.Can I use a dish network receiver and is the games on more than one sat if so which ones thanks look forward to getting your packages

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
You can but you'll need a large dish to get a stronger signal. Your just on the boarder of where BTV looses it signal in the US.I'm not sure of the cordinates.
Where about are you in Indiana?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
This would actually be against the terms of the Customer Agreement and as such should not be discussed here on DHC.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Then I would suggest that thunderisland reads the thread that you are referring to, it contains all the information required.

·
Super Moderator
56,457 Posts
Several posts moved to this thread. Although BTV may not knowingly sell to customers outside Canada, the customers themselves are not breaking any US laws for example. The reverse is not true since Canadian law prohibits reception of US DTH satellite signals in Canada (not FTA).

This thread is to be used by those wishing to discuss the topic of this thread. Discussion of the legalities/illegalities are for other threads that we have on those topics.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Regarding the PM you sent me, you cannot use a Dish500, it's too small.
I'd suggest using two 39" dishes with regular LNB's and an SW21 switch, or an SW44 switch.

You cannot use a Dish Network receiver, you'll need to access a Bell receiver from someone in Canada (family or friend).

Bell & Dish use identical receivers, but different software.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I have a couple of 1m Offset Dish's here that would be ideal for that.....lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow - it's almost been a year since my posts above, so I wanted to update you.

I've had no luck getting a signal with my existing dish and LNBs (neither the regular Bell LNB, nor the DPP that I have). I've tried this last year, and had no success. I'm extremely disappointed, as I feel like I'm losing part of my identity since I am not able to get news easily from home or feel like I'm connected to Canadian culture and events. I've still been paying for my subscription for all these years, and unable to use it. I've been putting off making a decision to cancel, because of my reasons above. But now I need to face facts that it's not going to work without some more equipment, and I don't want to just experiment with no assurance something will work.

Anyway, maybe there will be an alternative sometime in the future, maybe streaming will have more options and choices and I'll pay for a VPN account to get Canadian content over the internet. As for now, I'm giving up on it, and going to cancel my subscription.

Exceedingly bummed,
Choots

·
Registered
108 Posts
Perhaps the C-band approach might work just as well for Canadian snowbirds who want to watch Canadian TV? A C-band dish will receive dozens of Canadian broadcasters such as CBC, CTV, TVO, CityTV, etc. (in addition to many USA networks), all without a subscription!

In this case, the big dish most certainly rules over the little one, as far as Canadian TV goes in the USA...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did a quick couple searches and found some info on C-band and have some questions. Given I'm in the middle of North America, would it really require a dish in the 6 foot -8 foot range to get signals? Wow - not sure I have space for that. If I could mount it in the back of the lot that might work, but there is a line of tall pine trees that would hide it and I assume this would be very detrimental to the signal reception...

Also, the only references to CBC channels on satellite were encrypted with DVB-S2. I found many CTV channels that are Free to air, but are there other satellites with CBC that I didn't find?

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look into it further.

CHoots

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bell Satelite in Florida??

We are trying to hook up our receiver at our Florida home. We have the "point dish/signal" on and wondering what the transponder and satellite number needs to be set at. Any ideas??

221 - 240 of 259 Posts