Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

201 - 220 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
See Post #195

One of those photos shows a Solo Node connected between the dish and the DPP33 switch.

The Solo Node is part of a Hopper & Joey installation

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the heads up... I actually have family in Whitehorse and we were just there for the Christmas holiday... They are subscribers to Shaw and their dish is roughly the same size as the one I currently have for Dish Network...

Now, my question is rather than getting a whole new dish setup... could I just replace the lnb with Shaw's and then reset the angles?.. using the already installed dish... bypassing the switch?

Seeing that dishes are already mounted and cables are already run.. I really do not want to do extra work .. especially with a house that isn't mine..

·
Registered
983 Posts
Negative. The DISH dish must be replaced with the SHAW dish.

DO NOT even try changing LNB's on the DISH dish. I have seen people try this and it doesn't work until you cut the arm to a specific length, etc...

As Mike Holmes says, DO IT RIGHT the first time and save yourself a ton of aggravation.

IMPORTANT - ask your relatives to check the BACK of their dish. Ask them to check the Model #, it is either a Model 60E or a Model 75E.

I strongly suspect it is a Model 75E

You can use the existing cabling, but make sure you DISCONNECT that Solo Node, and use two F81 Barrel Connectors rated for 3 GHz to join the wires together.

Also, make sure the cables going in to the house are a STRAIGHT RUN without splitters, Power Inserters, etc...

Also, have your relatives check the label on their LNB. Is it a Dual Satellite Quad LNB or a Triple Satellite Quad LNB?
If you are going to use one of their receivers, the LNB you use MUST BE THE SAME as the one they have (Dual or Triple).

Also, if you use a Shaw Dual-Tuner PVR, you will have to run a 2nd RG6 coax line to the receiver.

Unlike DISH Network and Bell TV, SHAW does not have single cable technology for their dual-tuner PVR's

When you install the dish, use Ch.299 for a Dual LNB, or Ch.252 for a Triple LNB when pointing. This is also important.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No Signal in Florida, I suppose this is expected.

I setup a BEV sub in Florida so my father could go to his 2nd home and take his paid sub with him. I set it up in Sept 2011 it had great signal. Last year my father told me he had no signal, I had him put new lnbs, adjust the dish etc.

He gave up and eventually left it as is.

he's back in Florida with a different receiver trying to catch 91o , no luck. I finally came across this thread, I'm sorry for the redundant cries.

I expected my father to at least catch 110 , 119 while he was searching but no luck.

Did we lose signal because of this new sat launch? and is there any size of dish that can catch it, or is it theoretically impossible.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
The odd person has said they have had success with BUDs, but its far and few between and the reliability of those reports is mediocre at best. Also G17 is at the location for C-Band, so I am not convinced, as its likely that is the signal they are seeing, with the odd fringe KU transponder. To all intents and purposes, BEV in Florida isn't a realistic option for pretty much anyone.

Page 1 of the thread has the link to the contour map of the satellite.

Also, a good conversation specifically about Florida starting at post 172. The Shaw suggestion also came up and while still plausible, 57 made some important comments about its viability going forward with the eventual launch of the new G1 satellite.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had a Bell Expressvu System in SouthEast Pennsylvania since 2001 and have had no problems with strong reception until this past Fall As of May 2013, I have only been able to get partial reception with a signal strength of 57 max for a few days. Is there anything I can do to get better reception? I have a standard definition 18" dish. Any help will be appreciated. I have moved my dish 3 times in past two weeks and now cannot pick up a signal.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
With the new satellite footprint you are on the edge of the footprint. Since you are getting some signal i would expect a larger dish to improve it. You might need to go up to a 1meter dish.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm trying a cheap wingard carry out with an old bev 3100 and I'm getting no signal from asheville nc on 91 (heading 194 47 degrees). Is it my incompetence or my cheapness that's the issue? ;)

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
But my old 3100 is only configured for 82 and 91 and I pointed it to 91 in my yard at home and it worked, how?
Exactly, you are aiming at 91 & 82, the Satellites are no longer called Nimiq 1 & 2, they are retired, you are now getting signals from the replacement Satellites.

·
Registered
810 Posts
44.23 is within the Nimiq 6 footprint.

Asheville, NC is way outside.

Two examples of Bell 91 reception posts from another web site.

One poster from Wyoming reported getting a lock on 91 with a 3.5 metre dish. Yes, ~11 feet.

Canadian Embassy in DC @ 38.8900 N can't get Bell. Quote from the poster who really knows his stuff, "91 drops off like a rock between Philadelphia and Washington."

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm on the southern end of the Twin Cities metro area, and before we moved to this house three years ago, I had a 20" BEV dish up and was feeding an old 3100 and a 9200 with success, getting signals in the 60s-70s from both sats. Since we moved I haven't had a dish up. Then I got a replacement for the 9200 and almost a year ago I learned of the satellite change, and decided to try it. I put up the 20" dish , but my 9242 doesn't seem to get a signal. So I left it alone.

I think I'll try one satellite at a time - start with 82w and see what happens. The SatBeams link given earlier reports that I should have an EIRP level = 47 dBW with a Recommended dish size = 75cm / 29.5in in our present location. So if the single at approach fails I'm willing to pick up the 30" Winegard dish for $60 or $70 and try that. I've got other hardware on several 20" dishes that I can transfer over and try out. I've got an original LNB and a DPP LNB to try it with, so it won't be a big investment. I'll exhaust these attempts before trying Shaw, given I read that there may be limitations with their system now too.

Does anyone have any idea if this signal level may have a chance of working with the larger dish?

Thanks,
Choots

201 - 220 of 259 Posts