Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit by 57. Note that with the launch of the new Satellite, coverage in the US is now limited to "border states" to Canada. You may try to use a larger dish, but it may not work. Here's the footprint of the new Sat which went into service Mid-2012:

http://www.telesat.com/satellite-fleet/nimiq/nimiq-6

Here's the thread on Nimiq 6

Nimiq 6 (New Bell Satellite) Discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Many people will now consider Shaw Direct, however, please realize that they have a new satellite since 2013 with a similar footprint, so Shaw Direct may only be a temporary solution, depending on your needs and channels that Shaw decide to put on the new Sat. Here's that thread:

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

One other option is to use a Slingbox to control your STB at home (in Canada, if you are a snowbird) and view it away - good internet connection at both ends required.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/31-home-theatre-personal-computer-htpc-media-extenders/250897-slingbox-bell-sat.html

Original Post: I know there have been several threads on this subject but a lot are very old (2007,2008) and with new/better technology (newer LNBs, larger/cheaper antennas,etc), I would like to to ask this community for some information:

To begin, I'm a Canadian living most of the year in Dallas,TX and still own a residence in Canada. I also happen to be a current and disgruntled Shaw Direct subscriber (because of their crappy equipment).

I gave up on Bell when I upgraded to HD 3 years ago and switched over to Shaw (*C at the time). Recently, I stumbled on a post by OnlineLC stating clear reception of the 82 bird in Nashville,TN with a 1.2meter antenna. This information is reviving my dream of getting Bell back!!!!

So is there anyone out there:
1) in or South of the Dallas/FortWorth area receiving HD channels?
2) If YES,
a) what size antenna are you using?
b) do you have a sigal on RDSHD, SRCHD, TVAHD and VHD? (Yes all french channels)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
134 Posts
I doubt you'll get much signal in Dallas.
The footprint of 82w has been narrowed down a huge amount to only hit Canada and the northern states. Even with a huge dish, i doubt you could get a viewable signal.

On the other hand 91w will probably give you around 70-80%.

Other than that, I suggest subbing to DirecTV or Dish Network. They have a MUCH better selection of HD channels. A lot of people would love to be in your situation and have the availability to sub to a US provider.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ohmagic,

I'm a proud subscriber of DishNetwork but I'm also a French Canadian and love my french channels (I could not survive very long without RDSHD)...and CBC,TSN,etc.., something DishNetwork can't help me with... Shaw Direct has all the channels I need but I hate their hardware, thus the inquiry about Bell.

Nashville isn't that far north of Dallas.... so I'm still hoping someone out there has some success...

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you look at the 82W footprint below, you will note that I am just outside the reception area. Dallas is considerably further South than Nashville and the footprint is also nowhere near Texas at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Moving to Detroit

Hello there!

First time on this Forum.

I may be moving to Detroit in a few weeks. I d like to know how I could get a Bell Expressvu (Bell TV) system installed there?

I'm currently in Toronto with Cogeco.

what's the best way? how do I get it installed? can I use a US address?

thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
To my knowledge bell is not allowed to install in the U.S. You may be able to get a box number in Windsor and use that , but you would have to install the system yourself. Again I don't believe this is legal, but i'm sure there must be a way. Depending what you want to watch you may be better off going OTA to pick up windsor, and pay for a US service.

·
Registered
510 Posts
US address is a definate no-no. You will have to set up an account with a mailing address in Canada. DO NOT tell them you are in the US or connect a phone line to the receiver as they will cut off your service.

You will have to take the equipment to the US and hire a US satellite installer to hook it up for you.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Just use the address of a friend or relative in Canada. That works both ways if you know someone who is so inclined. Also, don't forget that there is lots of OTA stations in the Detroit area. It's the densest broadcasting market in North America.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bell tv in detroit

You will need a Canadian address. Use a friends if you have one. Do not connect it to a phone line. Do not call to activate your receiver(s). Bell may know you are out of the country or use a cellphone. Use their selfhelp on their website. I have hooked up other receivers this way as opposed to calling. It takes less time. Use a hotmail, gmail, etc account to receive your e-bill. No paper work. You can cancel your paper bill. Don't use an email address that makes it look like you are with an american internet provider. eg. for bell it's @bell.net or @sympatico.ca. With hotmail or gmail you can be in any country. As for paying your bill that may be harder. My bill comes out of my bank account. You can't do that in the US. Bell will know your aren't in Canada. You may be able to use a credit card (you need to find out). Or you can go to Windsor and open a bank account and have the payment taken from there.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Not that it matters to me, but people here are giving this person tips on how to break the law - maybe not a good thing. ;)

Contact a provider in the USA to get Dish network. Or go OTA, unless you want the cable channels.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Personally, I would just simply call up a US Cable or Satelitte company, like Comcast, Dish Network, DirecTV, etc, instead of going through Bell TV and doing it the "illegal" way.

If you were to watch TV with a US company, you could watch your TV shows without simsubs. And you would also get a wide variety of channels that aren't available in Canada, such as TNT, FX, MTV America, ESPN, Versus, Comedy Central, Disney Channel & ABC Family (for the kids :p), the original TBS, and a whole bunch more, just to name a few.

And the good thing is, you can still keep in touch with Canadian news, by simply going to CTV.ca (or any other news channel), and watch on the web :D

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have had US satellite service in the past. While the channel selection is great, the problem is not getting channels like TSN and Canadian News coverage. In this case, the OP is looking for french channels.

While the Canadian News coverage could be done OTA, you just will not be able to get your sports and french channels in the US.

As far as I am concerned, as long as you are paying for the service, I do not see an issue doing this. I know that BTV is not suppose to supply equipment south of the border. What about Shaw Direct? They do it knowingly.

·
Super Moderator
56,438 Posts
As mentioned in several previous threads, although it is illegal to subscribe to US satellite in Canada, it is not illegal to subscribe to Canadian Sat in the US, although, as mentioned earlier, BTV will stop your subscription if they find you're in the US since they don't have rights there. That's why these threads are allowed to stand, based on Moderator and Admin decisions on previous similar threads.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You can use a credit card to pay each month

You can contact Bell from USA directly thru 416-383-6688 (I call all the time and they either don't know what number your calling from or they do not care)

You can use some random address (sign up for paperless billing) or use a friends address.

Make sure you don't connect your receiver to phone line (you can order PPV online)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It will be better to stick with a single receiver. That will prevent calls for receiver "validation." A dual tuner HD PVR might be best. Bell will let you "self install" with a receiver purchase. That also reduces the contract obligation. As to billing, I would keep a Canadian bank account and sign up for electronic billing. A lot of things can be done on the Bell web site, like checking the account balance and changing the channel lineup. You could also get a friend or relative to accept the mailed bills and arrange payments from there. Their phone number and address would also need to be on the account. You could also make some sort of reciprocal financial agreement to make billing easier.

1 - 20 of 259 Posts