Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wired basement for in-wall speakers using Monoprice speakers. My sub woofer is a passive speaker, not powered. I did not realize that the receivers put out sub-woofer signal that needs to be amplified. I do not have easy access to power where the sub-woofer cavity is located. Are there receivers out there that can put out powered LFE signal? I would rather not go the way of for a dedicated single channel amp just for the sub. Is there is a simpler solution? I also need a receiver with HDMI switching so an older receiver will not do.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You have 2 questions for 300 answers :) First things first , if you need a new amp , i would start there and then move to the sub that in IMO you will need a new one sub . You should start with the basic How many speakers 5.1 , 7.1 ?????

How many devices i will be connecting to the receivers ( how many HDMI in ) and so on . Take it step by step to make the best choices for your needs .

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
It'd be good if we knew the makes/models of the equipment involved, especially the sub.

It's usually possible to wire the speaker wires for the LF & RF speakers "through" most passive subs, so the sub would work properly, as well as the speakers. Most subs have diagrams on how to wire.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More info on the setup.

The speakers are all Monoprice in-wall and the setup is 5.1. The receiver is Pioneer VSX 820.

What other info do you need?

Cheers,

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
You might be able to pick up a sub amp. That is an amplifier designed to be mounted on a sub enclosure. Buying a dedicated component amplifier to power the speakers would not be cost effective. It would be cheaper and provide better results to just purchase a standalone sub.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Thanks 57. The sub woofer is Monoprice 4928
From the description:

This compact, non-powered sub is not for replacing a decent powered LFE subwoofer
And from the knowledge base:

Question: How do you connect these subwoofers to a receiver?
Answer: There are several methods to connect a passive sub.

The best option would be to get a dedicated, monoblock, subwoofer amplifer for each sub. You connect the LFE (sub out) on the receiver to the amplifier and connect the sub to the amp with speaker wire.

Another option would be if you have optional zone 2 speaker terminals on your receiver that are not in use or a bi-ampable receiver. Just connect the passive subs to the secondary speaker terminals directly on the receiver.

The next option would be to purchase a speaker selector. These devices will match the impedance across all the connected speakers so you don''t overload your receiver. Connect both your mains and the passive subs to the speaker select and make sure you have both sets selected.

The last option is to wire your speakers in series with the left and right front speakers. This involves going from the positive connector on the receiver to the positive on the sub, then the negative of the sub to the positive of the front speaker and the negative of the front speaker to the negative of the receiver. This is the least preferred method since, though it will lower the impedance of the chain to a safe level, it will also reduce the total output you are getting.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Another option is to use audio crossovers (sometimes called crossovers.) It might be the best solution in this case.

Wiring the speakers in parallel is an option but only if the amp can handle the low impedance. For example, a 4 ohm capable amp can handle two 8 ohm speakers in parallel. I wouldn't do this with a Pioneer VSX 820.

The last option is to wire your speakers in series with the left and right front speakers.
I'm not going to get into the technical reasons why this should not be done but it's a terrible solution. Don't do it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think my simplest option may well be to cover up the hole for the sub behind the sofa and use a decent powered sub-woofer somewhere else in the room.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts