Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,372 Posts
My guess is Bell has a time server at the satellite up-link that drifted by a few seconds. Maybe there was a task that stopped running that was responsible for syncing with a master time server. Once they reset that, all the receivers would be corrected.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
You're probably right Dr. Dave...because only my 9400 had a software update yet all 4 of my receivers (2x9242 and a 6100) are fixed.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Well. My 9242 is still out by about 5 seconds. I asked about the software version because I'm on V342 and was wondering if there had been an update.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Well. My 9242 is still out by about 5 seconds. I asked about the software version because I'm on V342 and was wondering if there had been an update.
Yes my 9242's are on software version 342 as well.

My 9400 is on version 362.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Yes I've also noticed on my 9241 that SOME shows are cut short at the end but they seem to have started late also. I don't think it is consistent across all shows (as was my 10 sec early start before) but will be paying a little more attention from now on.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
That's fine if you don't have another show to record right after the first one.
My PVR has 8 tuners, so that's not an issue. The only problem is when the next show is on the same channel. I can get around that when the same channel has more than one number. For example, CBC Toronto is on 6 and 514.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The next show on the same channels is not an issue as you get the end of the first at the start of the second show. You might miss 5 or 10 seconds as the pvr recorder stops and restarts.

What really screws thing up is when one of the networks decides their show should run to 1 minute past the hour. That cuts off any show that wants to start on the hour.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I've checked multiple recordings now during prime time and on my 9241 all programs start & stop on time.
I think some of the late night shows get cut off early but they certainly started on time.

·
Super Moderator
56,417 Posts
The Rogers 9865 PVR and the new 4K PVR have 8 tuners, allowing you to record up to 8 HD programmes at the same time, while also watching a recorded programme. I don't usually push my PVR that hard, but it is possible.

I have a second 9865 in another room where my wife sometimes watches TV, so theoretically, I could record another 8 programmes there and if I had WHPVR (Whole Home PVR) would have access anywhere in the home. I believe WHPVR allows for at least 3 PVRs within WHPVR, but you could add another PVR "outside" of the WHPVR setup but inside your home. I have no idea when the bandwidth limit coming into your home would be reached, but with Gigabit feed being available to many homes, it would be a lot.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
^^^^
I don't think the current TV uses Internet bandwidth and, other than switched video, the channels are always on the cable, whether being watched or not.

That may change with IPTV.

·
Super Moderator
56,417 Posts
I don't think the current TV uses Internet bandwidth and, other than switched video, the channels are always on the cable, whether being watched or not.
Yes, but the overall pipe (RF-coax) must handle internet, phone and TV. Although many channels are "always on", there are quite a few SDV channels, which only utilize bandwidth when "requested" by a customer on the last mile. Yes, that will change once Rogers switches solely to IPTV.

Anyway, the question was the number of tuners, which is 8 per new PVR...

41 - 58 of 58 Posts