Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Just looked at that link...I remember a lot of that but yet I have forgotten a lot as well. That is the trouble with retiring and getting out of the business!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
GPS is very precise, provided you allow for the differences. Also, with differential GPS, position can be determined within a few centimetres.
Thanks for the update. I was operating with old info. At one time, the US military obfuscated GPS data to make it impossible to get position information withing less than 30'. Though I knew they had stopped doing that, I didn't realize GPS had become that accurate. I'd guess there has been some newer technology developed since then as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has this ever been looked into?
I see the subject has changed several times but the issue remain.
Please, someone at Bell, adjust the times on your server!
I guess Kodi i the best bet. I's free, use VPN and NO COMMERCIALS.
Bell, you're gonna lose more customers just like you did when VoIP was introduced!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Interesting comments showing that some people have a lot of time to use up! My simple answer is....done on purpose by the networks to dissuade you from recording the competition. City Tv is a bad one starting numerous shows early or late. CTv is a problem at times. Fun and games by the Canadian TV masters.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has pointed out to the OP that the Bell TV IPG often indicates that a program is going to start/end outside the usual hourly period. Add that to all the other reasons for times to be sort of out of synch and is it any wonder that PVRs don't always start and stop at exactly the right moment.?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Please reread my original post. I'm NOT talking about programs starting at different times, eg news at 5:59 instead of 6:00 PM.

For EVERY single program on EVERY channel, when the guide says for eg it's exactly 6:00 PM and I hit Select on the remote, the program actually started 10 seconds earlier.
Whenever I PVR any program (and do not select the start earlier option) when I watch it later the first 10 seconds of the program was not recorded - for every single PVR recording.

So I ask again if this is a Bell issue or a 9241 receiver quirk?

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Apart from the EST/DST switch, I never had a time issue with Bell satellite. It could be just this particular receiver or something that has cropped up recently. I've seen cases where recordings start late on other PVRs and the time was correct.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for sharing your similar issues with other receivers. It helps to know I'm not the only person seeing this.
Now getting someone at Bell "interested" in this concern will undoubtedly be impossible but I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
One question, is the clock actually slow? Or is the PVR just slow to start? You can compare the clock with an accurate time source, such as NTP or listen to a time signal via radio, not over the Internet. Cell phone clocks are fairly accurate and there's Android an app called "ClockSync" that can also be used.

Can you configure the PVR to start recording a minute early? I have mine configured to stop 5 minutes late, to allow for shows that run over.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Whether the receiver clock is showing the "true" time, whatever that is, is irrelevant to the issue.

Say you're watching a program at 5:59 PM (as per receiver time) and you call up the guide on screen showing your current program hilited and then you want to switch to a different channel at 6:00 PM., exactly when the guide shows 6:00 PM, you click the new channel, I have missed the first 10 seconds.
Also for the program you were watching before, that channel starts showing the 10 seconds of the program starting at 6:00 PM on that same channel just before the guide says it is 6:00 PM.

In other words if you were to watch one channel continuously and show the clock at the exact hour mark, the new program starts 10 seconds before the receiver clock shows the exact hour change.

The same 10 seconds are lost on any PVR program, unless of course you select start 1 minute early.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It's NOT JUST a BELL problem in THEIR Clock controlling the DVR ON/OFF times......it's that the NETWORKS that SOURCE the Programs each have their own internal "Clock"....

--------------------------------------------------------
Aside on GPS ACCURACY, incl. LAND-BASED, mostly along the COAST for Boats, Differential GPS:
...Nothing to do with TIME:
They only calculate GPS Coordinates in the chosen, currently WGS84 Dual Ellipsoid System with EGM96 (Earth Gravitational Model 1996) Geoid [Oblate Spheroid], revised in 2004, that [poorly] approximates the SHAPE of the Earth, which is Fatter in one direction than the other and very much FLATTENED due to the extremely fast rotation. And just to keep things interesting they have continued to refine these coordinate estimates ever since GPS was launched, so there are SIGNIFICANT (tens of feet) differences between measurements made today and measurements made in earlier years [e.g. WGS60/66/72]:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_coordinate_system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Geodetic_System
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spheroid [Oblate Spheroid Math]

So there is a VERY COMPLICATED COORDINATE CONVERSION [or more typically APPROXIMATE CONVERSION] required if trying to line up say WGS72 PAPER MAPS to current WGS84 GPS/DGPS Measurements.....and it's even MORE difficult trying to line up to PAPER MAPS drawn BEFORE they were published in ANY of the GPS Coordinate Models.

And just to keep everyone from thinking that ANY GPS/DGPS measurement is anywhere ACCURATE, bear in mind that "typical" Continental Drift is on the order of feet to hundreds of feet per YEAR.....and even SMALLER in California where the Pacific Coast Plate is moving NORTH-WEST at about 3-inches/year along the San Andreas Fault, while the American Continental Plate is moving SOUTH at about 1-inch/year....relative to GPS Coordinates.

GPS Coordinates are especially INACCURATE for HEIGHT if you use a Mapping program such as RADIO MOBILE to prepare PATH PROFILE Charts. Shorelines can be off by 100's of feet in altitude, meaning that many parts of Los Angeles are erroneously displayed as being UNDERWATER [I tweak the Altitude Colorization controls to overcome this issue]. The more accurate Mapping Programs must use a Height Coordinate Correction File, which provides the requisite corrections, depending on WHERE in the WORLD the GPS Measurement [or Topo Data Base] is being used.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.....

·
Registered
609 Posts
@holl_ands, it's not a network issue, it's a Bell issue.

At least the issue discussed in this thread is a Bell issue. It's a new occurrence, within the past several weeks, and it's consistent across channels on both my 9242s.

So... you guys/gals aren't alone in facing this annoying hiccup!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Actually I've noticed this since before Christmas...and it extends to my 9400 as well as my 9242's.

This may be a Network thing...not sure.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It can't be a network issue because it happens on EVERY channel.
If all the networks are doing something incorrect, then Bell should start doing the same to match.
Doesn't Bell have some kind of command center where people are watching all the channels and surely they must see all these programs starting 10 seconds before the clock hits the hour mark.
Or maybe they no longer care about satellite and they have nobody monitoring activity.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It's got to be a Bell Receiver problem. Bell has to probably update its software to fix the time on the clock. I have a 6400 Receiver and the time is slow. Today after 3 years of working my Bose Solo 15 remote does not work with bell satellite receiver. Tried all the codes for bell satellite none of them work. I called Bose and they couldn't program my Bose remote to work my Bell Satellite Receiver.

The guy from Bose told me that Bell probably upgraded the software on my receiver and now my Bose remote won't work on my Bell Satellite 6400 Receiver.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
@cyclist44: A reboot should fix the time if that's really the problem. I doubt that a receiver upgrade would make any difference. Bell hasn't offered a receiver upgrade for quite some time. What version number does your receiver show and do you know if it has changed recently?

Frankly the answer you got from Bose sounds to me more like a brushoff than a sincere attempt to help you.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Not sure what happened but my receivers have all been fixed...all the shows are starting and ending on time now.

This started last weekend.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts