Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my situation: had an older LCD TV and an older audio receiver hooked up to a PVR and Blu-Ray with no problem. Video from the PVR or BD into the TV through a HMDI->DVI cable and audio into the receiver via digital optical cable. All was fine.

Then switched out the LCD TV with a newer 120Hz set and right away noticed that the audio looping was off. (Lips not in sync.) Now having video go into the TV via straight HDMI and audio into the receiver still via optical. My audio receiver is about 5 years old and doesn't support HDMI so passthrough is not an option.

Eventually fixed the looping by adding a 125ms audio delay on the receiver. But that was for watching TV from the PVR (1080i/DD5.1). Switch to the BD (1080P/DTS) and I need to scale that down to 50ms at least. And changing the audio delay is not intuitive or straight forward on the audio receiver (had to download a PDF of the manual, find the remote, find batteries for it, work through the cryptic menus, etc.)

So everything works but it's a big pain to have to adjust the audio delay when switching devices. TV is LG and they say to pass through the TV using the optical out on the TV but with that I can only get PCM.

Question is what would make this situation better?

1. A new receiver with HDMI passthrough? (not sure that would help)
  2. Do any newer receivers have the audio delay specification on a per source basis?
  3. Toss the LG LCD?!?!
Comments or thoughts on this situation? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
What happens if the 120Hz and other video processing features are turned off?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Here's a post on the many possible causes, resolutions:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=131926&postcount=2

As mentioned by ScaryBob, the TV processing can sometimes be responsible. What happens if you set the BD player to 1080i - is the audio then the same? What about audio delay options in the BD player?

An HDMI AVR (that handles HDMI audio and not simply passthrough) may fix the issue, but no guarantees.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turning off the 120Hz features does not seem to effect the situation. Similarly changing between 1080i or 720p on the Bell PVR makes no difference.

It's just frustrating that the delay amount is different between different sources. I wouldn't mind just setting the delay on the AVR once and being done but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm testing with a new option:

4. Enable DD5.1 pass-through on the TV from the service menu. (Only took me 10 minutes to do with the aid of Russia, a cell phone, an IR blaster, and a WAV file!!!!)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
IIRC, the 9200 has an option for setting an audio delay for HD. Forget what it's called off hand but it isn't variable so it may be if limited use in this case.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The hack from the Russian's enables DD5.1 pass-through but downgrades it to PCM on DTS.

So I think I'm going to have to live with the "balance" of delay between the various sources. (i.e. a little lower than the Bell STB one and a little higher than the BD one).

Thanks for the suggestions ScaryBob, but neither Menu-6-7 or Menu-6-1-7 seem to help too much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts