Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've read a few posts already on this topic, I just want some clarity for a couple things. First off, I understand that receiver sharing or account stacking is not illegal - but rather is frowned upon by the satellite companies. My situation is that I'm moving out of the house and would like to take a SC receiver with me. I need to install a satellite first at my new location, and would like to know if I need a specific satellite type in order for the receiver to work? Does the satellite need to be the same model or have to be identical to the one at home where the receiver is activated? I think I read something along those lines in a different post - but someone then said that the satellites didn't have to be similar? So I'm confused. I'm looking to purchase a used satellite that I can install but I'd like to make sure things will work before I go and do that.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
783 Posts
When I say SC - I really mean ShawDirect! Keep getting the names confused..
And when you say "Satellite" you really mean "Dish" or "Satellite Dish". Even purchasing a "used Satellite" is likely to cost millions of $$$. They rarely come back to earth in usable and resaleable condition.

Yes you do need to purchase the correct type of dish and LNB. Used Star Choice / Shaw Direct dish/LNB sets are always available on Craig's List in my area.

·
Registered
146 Posts
First off, I understand that receiver sharing or account stacking is not illegal - but rather is frowned upon by the satellite companies.
It's illegal, period.

Imagine if you had 5 receivers and you gave four of them to your friends to use on your account. The situation speaks for itself. It's lost revenue for Shaw and they have good reason to consider it as being illegal.

You need to set up your own account with Shaw. You might be able to take the receiver with you and have it transferred from your parents' account to your new account, assuming your parents' account is in good standing.

If the receiver is programmed to use the satellite dish with the quad LNB that is the current technology, then you will need to have the same dish at your new location, but you can use either the 60e or the 75e dish with it's appropriate quad LNB. If you use an older style dish at your new location, you will need to let Shaw know and they will make changes on their end that will be sent to your receiver to enable you to use the receiver with the older dish. The older style dishes have LNB's that look like 2 cans. The newer quad LNB is a single unit that has 2 overlapping eyes and 4 connectors for the coax cable.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
It is illegal, in that it is a violation of the copyrights of the various channels carried for the provider. The contracts are as such as they get paid on a per household basis.

With that, you have to get your own subscription for your new home.

·
Super Moderator
56,525 Posts
Thread closed. Illegal activity is not discussed on this forum. This is the third such thread in the last day or so and all have been closed or deleted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.