Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Go on, bite the bullet, call Bell, give them hell......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replacing hard drive for 5900

My 5900 hard drive died yesterday and Bell is still charging 162+tax for a refurbished 5900. Can anyone tell me the procedures to replace the hard drive? I'm not sure if I have to do the above diagnostic tests. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Well before you decide it is dead, you have nothing to loose by trying some or all of the diagnostic tests.

If you do need another Hard Drive you need the EXACT model for the 5900, if there is just 1 digit difference it will not work, it has to be EXACT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
9200 receiver

This is weird, I can access the memory dump screen and I did perform both the NVRAM reset and the HDD format but I cannot do any of the tests on the HDD. Obviously my remote is working fine because I can get into the dump screen but when I try any of the PAUSE-# combos for the various tests I get absolutely nothing.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Not all the shortcuts work. Some are only good for older receivers or may be incorrect for newer ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
PVR 9242: solid red lights

Hello,

My 9242 PVR is stuck with 2 solid red lights and the Bell logo ("Press SELECT to Watch TV") appears on the screen. Also, my remote is unresponsive. The hard drive is plugged in. Prior to this situation, the receiver started flashing red lights last night at midnight (or about 8 hours ago).

• I've tried to plug in a USB key in the front (and back panel) ... but nothing happened.
  • I've tried to unplug the hard drive (power and sata connection) from the motherboard ... but nothing happened.
  • I've tried to press most keys on the TV1 remote ... but nothing happened.
Any thoughts on how I can get this thing working again??

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bell 9242 Continuos Reboot

I've owned the 9242 since it first came out. Last night it started to continually reboot itself and is still doing so today. I am unable to watch TV. This happend about a year ago as well but eventually came back on and worked until yesterday. Anybody else have this problem? Is it trying to download/install new firmware?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's getting hot in here....

If it's in an equipment enclosure or a poorly ventilated entertainment centre try pulling it out in the open. If it's got other components above and below it put some hockey puck spacers between component feet.

Mine was in the exact same place for years and suddenly started doing the same thing. I yanked it out and removed the case to clean it (it was amazingly spotless) and it's been fine since. I still haven't put it back in the cabinet but that is just pure unadulterated laziness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bell 9242 Continuous Reboot solved

Thanks iamsblack. Didn't think the overheat was the problem since I ran a fan on it all night and it seemed cool to the touch. But I took it apart, vacuumed it out (not visibly dusty) and set it on top of the entertainment unit. It's worked ever since. Think I might have just had the receiver too close to the side where the fan intake is. Very happy wife over here.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Probably not. The diagnostics are for internal drives. The EHD could be connected to a Linux computer and the file systems checked for consistency. That should work but E* could have made file system changes so it might do more harm than good. The disk itself could be tested on Windows with GSmartControl. That would determine if there are bad sectors or other hardware problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just changed the HDD in my 9200

I just changed the drive in my 9200, ran the long diagnostic and all passed but when I run the format it still does not format the HDD. Any ideas? The 9200 still works but I miss PVR.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bell 5900 PVR problem

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but apparently need help with a 5900 PVR problem. My recording time has gone down to 10 hours and I went through the memory dump procedure according to Falcon's post, but when I press TV/video I get this message.

"Non-volatile memory has been corrupted. It will be cleared after pressing the front panel power button or by removing AC power from the receiver."

So when I press the power button or unplug the receiver, it still gives me the same message and the same amount of recording time available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

FSR1149

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I could be wrong but that procedure just clears the NVRam. Maybe you should be formatting the drive.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The hard drive needs to be checked. If that does not work, reformat it.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts