Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my new 50hdx82 hooked up to my Sony prologic receiver. When I have the audio out hooked into the stereo all (5) speakers sound good, but I end up having to use the volume control on the stereo. I hooked up the variable audio out today so I could set the stereo at a constant and use the TV volume. Doing this at low volume levels I end up with a low level "hiss" out of the rear speakers. Any ideas?

One other problem, I hooked the antenna out on the tv up to my vcr and get a bad picture. The cable works fine with a splitter on it, one to TV and one to VCR. I was trying to eliminate the splitter to get the best possible picture on the TV. Shouldn't this work?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
When you use variable audio output and the TV volume is set very low, you A/V receiver must amplify this very low power signal and you end up with a horrible signal-to-noise ratio. I always prefer to use fixed audio output and adjust the volume on the receiver only.

The splitter is probably the way to go. If I remember correctly, the Toshiba is only supposed to output the currently-tuned channel on it's antenna out connection. This is normally used for an external pay-TV decoder.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll hook it back up to the fixed output. The only complaint I have with the TV is I don't like the speakers in the TV, even for just normal TV watching. I have been leaving the stero on full time.

I thought the manual showed the output tied to a cable converter, but I might be wrong.

Thx again

·
Registered
34 Posts
DanH said:
I thought the manual showed the output tied to a cable converter, but I might be wrong.

Thx again
I had a similar issue. I currently have the 50HDX82 and was comparing it to the Sony KP46WTXXX and noticed that both manuals call for plugging the cable into the ANT1 and then taking the converter out to the cable box. The cable out from cable box goes to VCR etc... completing all connections to allow PIP/POP and VCR recording. I found that the signal input from cable box using SVHS cables out into the TV (VIDEO1) in the Toshiba resulted in very noisy and bad picture compared to the Sony (Sony manual says that the converted in the Sony is better than the cable box and I would tend to believe it). I ended up using a MONSTER CABLE splitter to feed the cable box and the TV rather than the TV's own built in splitter (to converter). This has improved the picture tremendously.

I was wondering if others have experienced this as well or do I have a problem with my set. Do some TV sets have better converters and splitters?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.