Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a really jittery picture for all channels with my 4250HD. Just started doing it.. reset the box, unplug and replugged all wires and still jitters. Also tried switching from 1080i to 720p.. Still no luck. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Same here in downtown toronto. Pixelation and 5 sec freezing on all channels. Rebooted and tech support could not help.
I have SA8300HD PVR.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was getting the same issue last night watching the World Cup on both CBCHD and BOLDHD. It was very jittery when I turned the set on, so I switched over to SD programming (not WC) and had no issues. When I went back to the soccer in HD the jitter was gone but I encountered the sporadic freezing. I just put it down to the WC feed but perhaps not. (4250 via HDMI).

I have also encountered brief blackouts from time to time where the entire picture goes black, no audio, not even the channel logo visible, for about 1-2 seconds. Is this a Rogers issue or my TV (Samsung 40LN450 LCD)?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Try the following steps and it should clear up all of these problems:

1. Turn off both TV and HD Box
2. Unplug the power (or turn off power bar) to both TV and HD Box
3. Unplug the HDMI cable from either the TV or the HD Box (whichever is easiest to access)
4. Reconnect the HDMI cable
5. Reconnect the power (or turn the power bar back on)
6. Power on the TV
7. Power on the HD Box and wait for the boot sequence to finish

At least, these steps have always worked for me for all of the issues mentioned above.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Mython, thanks for the helpful post, I would like to comment, you can probaly cut those steps in half and still achieve the same results as you described.

Turn off the TV and the DCT, Unplug the DCT, Plug it back in, let the DCT Reboot itself, once its back on, turn on everything and you shoudl be good to go.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
This is Rogers Cable Ontario. We don't use DCTs. Here's the SA FAQ to do reboots and check signal:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

If the "jitter" is on all channels, it often suggests a poor connection of some sort, either to the STB or to the TV. If it's a specific channel, then the issue could be with that channel, or with the signal on that QAM.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That is right. Only certain channels have this problem. In my case, 514(HD-CBC) and 517(HD-Gobal) are pretty bad. 517 isn't watchable.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
I watched Global News (517) last night at 11PM without issue.

I just checked 517 and 514 and they're both fine here. Both of these channels are on QAM 537. You probably have a signal issue since CBC is often the first to go. Check your Signal Strength and S/N ratio per the link in post 7 and do a reboot.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was still getting the 5 sec freezing this morning (Tues) but at night onwards freezing was gone. Likely a Rogers signal issue in my area. Will see what tomorrow will bring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been having this problem since last Saturday (the 19th). I've rebooted (warm & cold) and reattached all my cables more times than I can remember.

It seems worse on Canwest stations, CBC & CTVGM stations are close to perfect (but will jitter on occasion). Global (local & timeshifted) and BBC Canada are unwatchable. If any of the Buffalo stations are showing a Global feed there is little to no problem on that US station, but the actual Global channel is still unwatchable.

There must be a problem at their end somewhere, no? I'd be at my wit's end if I wasn't on CBC watching the WC this week.

Downtown Toronto, SA Explorer 1840.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Explorer 8300HD - I having some weird problems tonight.
Some channels look amazing ABCHD, WGNHD,BBCK
Other channels are unwatchable in terms of jitteryness and the audio comes in and out on GlobalHD, Spike, HBOHD, CTV news network,Comedy

I have been having problems been having these problems on and off the last week especially with HBOHD, seems to happening to more channels and more frequently.

I am ordering the UFC PPV this weekend in HD and I am really hoping I don't encounter the problem then.

Checked my signal quality doesn't appear to be an issue
Level -6
SN 32 db
Etobicoke

·
Banned
2 Posts
Using a 4250 HD (HDMI) near Yonge/Davisville.
TLC HD is jittery right now.
At first I thought it was just CityTV 519 but I'm seeing it elsewhere too and more lately.

Anyone else notice blocky, pixelated HD picture if the scene is moving fast?
Noticed this during World Cup and Star Trek on TMN.
Had Rogers come out and they confirmed my signal was fine.
Even got a replacement STB.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Anyone else notice blocky, pixelated HD picture if the scene is moving fast?
Noticed this during World Cup and Star Trek on TMN.
This sounds like macroblocking, which is a fact of life on fast moving, live HD programming. Search for macroblocking on this forum - plenty of previous threads. A proper setup of the TV can help minimize macroblocking if you're still on the TV's default settings - reduce sharpness, turn off edge enhancements, change to better picture mode, etc. Read the link below:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161

As for jittery picture, check your signal strength and S/N ratio on the affected channels and do a cold reboot, per earlier posts in this thread (5, 7)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741 Useful post.

·
Registered
30 Posts
jcat, I'm having the exact issues you are. I'm in Kitchener, ON
e.g.
CITY-HD is black
TSN-HD is black
TSN2-HD is choppy
ABC-HD never been clearer
NBC-HD never been clearer and was pixelated before

Barley any channels is the 100's are watchable.

Both my 8300hd's are having this problem.

I know two other people in Kitchener that had the exact same problem start the same night as me, last Thursday.

Something major must be up.

I have a service call scheduled for Wednesday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts