Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
1) That is a good point.
2) My intent was to focus on the sound quality issue, and not the "I want to be like Mike!" issue that so often happens with celebrity endorsements. Of course, professionals use headphones.;)
3) You are correct. Guess I'm not their target market. :D

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Why would a professional athlete's choice of earphone be a deciding factor when considering this type purchase?
I'm definitely not disagreeing with you, because it's preposterous, but one of the main reasons Beats by Dre are so popular is because high-profile athletes are seen wearing them. Ochocinco just bought a pair for each of the Patriots players for the plane ride to Indianapolis!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm using Monster little jams right now and they sound very good. A good buy if you can get them on sale. I got mine for $59.99 as they had forgotten to remove the boxing day price from the shelf ($69.99) and they had knock off an extra $10 as per pricing policy in Quebec ;-)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Guys, I'm pretty much down and out when it comes to earbuds ever since I had to part ways with an expensive pair of Sony buds (I'm talking buds, not the kind you pluck deep in your ear canal).

And so last year I purchased a Senheiser MM450 headset. This thing is light, nd foldable and operates either through a mini-jack cable or over Bluetooth (my favorite). I would recommend it to any smartphone owner. It's cordless, has a relatively large battery for long durations with good noise canceling with the added bonus that if you keep a certain button pressed for 2 seconds, you get to carry the headphones and hear outside noises a bit sharper than without the thing on your head. I've found it useful while skating, I can talk to people without having to remove the headset.

And about Bose... Bbbrrrr. Bose headsets cannot fail if they're anything like the Soundock 10 I'm listening to right now. Now that's quality sound!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Klipsch S4i( apple products), very highly rated, got them for my daughter for Xmas, once the right size ear bud is selected they sound amazing, if you do not need the remote/mike on the cord get the S4. Check out the review on Cnet.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I like skull candys too,
not the best, but great bang for your buck,

but klipsch or dr. dre 1's are good if you got a few bucks to spend

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
seriously - Monster? I'd rather have a testicle hammered flat.
Bose would get my cash first before Monster - but I have to agree with the skull candy recommendation - pretty good value.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Its been awhile since this thread about the best ear buds was updated, so now that I've been given an iPod what is the state of the art now, especially regarding noise-cancelling? Which ones give the best bang for the buck?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
i've got a set of the plantronics

if you need wireless they're pretty ok

they're a bit heavy for ear buds, and battery life is not what you'd hope for, but if you're ok charging em everyday they're ok

the thing i don't like, and this could just apply to bald/shaved head dudes, but I find the plastic/rubber cord between the 2 earbuds kinda catches or sticks to the back of my neck, and sometimes as you turn your head it can yank 1 earbud out

I've taken to kinda tucking it into the band of my ball cap, and that works great

sound wise, they're ok. they still don't match the sound of my zagg buds (which i mentioned back on page 1!)

all that being said, they're great for work, and great for sweaty work outs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bose

Earbuds seem like such a shot in the dark...sometimes expensive ones break in no time, and cheap Sony ones lasts for years! My favourite pair I ever had was a pair of Bose IE2s. So awesome in every way; unfortunately I lost them on the subway:(

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
At our Canadian Tire, they have iLuv over the ear headphones and they sound incredible. I usually use it with my iRiver 256meg MP3 player running on one AA battery. It lasts a long time and they feel nice and comfy on the head.

They are $25 right now instead of over $100.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The Logitech UE500Vi is a nice set. Priced around $79 but they occasionally go on sale for quite a bit less. They've been discontinued though so I'm not sure how long they'll be available.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
A lot depends on what is required. Is it top fidelity or just good enough for a good price. I picked up a pair of Panasonic RPHJE120A for under $18, delivered (on Amazon.ca.) They are highly rated for cheap ear buds and sound good for the price. MP3s and streamed music don't need super high fidelity anyway. Sometimes they are better without it.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts