Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went on vacation and was looking forward to listening to my iphone on the plane ride.
What I found was that the iphone ear buds kept slipping in my ear and the sound would drop in one ear or the other. I also find it incredibly annoying when any small movement results in feeling the ear buds tugging.

Does anyone make a really good sounding and fitting ear bud or extremly light head phone?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Monster makes some pretty good iPhone headphones under their Dr. Dre label. One type of them is a bud headphone that includes about eight or ten different tips so that you can fit the buds precisely to your ear. They aren't cheap but they are awfully good. (My wife picked up a pair a month ago.)

·
Registered
621 Posts
They do.

She bought hers at Office Maxx in Minot, ND at New Year's and they were on sale for a lot less than Futureshop, but it might take a little luck to get them at that price again.

She sure loves them though!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I really like zagg smart buds. They're covered in the same stuff the screen shields are made of, come with different tips to fit different ears and have the mini remote on them for volume and track changes etc. mic too to make calls

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
There are so, so, so many other options than just Mon$ter. Yes, they have a few excellent models, but they are way overpriced. You can find some awesome deals even in the $20-50 range. For example, I just ordered a pair of Meelectronics M9P for under $25 shipped.

Are you wanting active noise-cancelling headphones/earphones for the airplane? Or would normal ones suffice?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I can never get earbuds to stay in, even just sitting still. Best ones I've found so far, size, comfort, and durability-wise are Philips SHQ4000. Lightweight, water/sweatproof, small buds, decent sound, and will stay in place for anything.

They're headphones, not buds, though; but I find them unobtrusive, being that they wrap around behind neck.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I love how Mon$ter has found another demographic to snow with their overpriced products.

It must be a thing with the young, if you're not using Beats, you're a loser. I could buy a pair of Ultrasone for the same price or less, and get a far better product.

I'm glad most people have finally seen the light with their overpriced "quality" cables.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yeah, don't buy Monster unless it's one of those Turbine earphones-- the only Monster earphones audiophiles seem to like. Meelectronics earphones are nice like cooper83 suggested. I didn't like the M9P though-- don't know about the M6.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I like Sony's MDR-E9LP, good quality and fair priced. I use a hair clip on my shirt to hold the line from pulling the buds out of my ear (for when i'm out running). Just just fine for regular use, and they come in any colour. You really dont even need to use the clip for them, they're very light.

Canada Computers has them for 10 bucks, cant beat it.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Like many products, think outside the "box" ... the big box stores, that is. In the world of earbuds, especially, your best bets for the money will be brands you've never heard of, available almost exclusively on the web, not in a retail store.

As for full-sized headphones, I find they're still mostly dominated by popular brand names - Sony, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, etc.

I also find it's good to have multiple styles of cans for different activities. For running/gym, I want something that's sweatproof. I don't want something that's going to block outside noise; I want to be able to hear other runners/traffic for safety & etiquette reasons. For the airplane I'd want active noise-cancelling (but I'm not willing to dish out $200+ for decent noise-cancelling technology).

No matter what headphone you buy (and this is just my personal opinion) if you're paying more than $100, you've overpaid, especially if bought at a Canadian retailer. The headphone market continues to have huge price disparity between US & Canada.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I got Sony Active Noise cancelling ear buds for Christmas. These are excellent and the price was less than $90. I am on my third pair of ear buds in the last 1.5 years, so I am hoping the Sony's last. In my case I usually lose sound in one of the ear buds. I also second that Monster (Dr. Dre) are way overpriced.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm a fan of the Shure SE Sound Isolating Earphones. Yes, they are pricey, but I haven't found anything I prefer over them. Once you get used to how they fit, you can wear them for hours at a time.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm a fan of the Shure SE Sound Isolating Earphones. Yes, they are pricey, but I haven't found anything I prefer over them. Once you get used to how they fit, you can wear them for hours at a time.
I have to agree, I got some Dr Dre's for xmass and my 5 year old Shure's blow them away. Buy hey you do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm not knocking any brands, but looking at the Polk site made me chuckle. Why would a professional athlete's choice of earphone be a deciding factor when considering this type purchase? I would be more inclined to follow the recommendations of a professional musician or audio engineer, unless of course, I was purchasing sporting goods. :D

The psychology of advertising...

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
1. Why would a professional athlete's choice of earphone be a deciding factor when considering this type purchase? I would be 2. more inclined to follow the recommendations of a professional musician or audio engineer, unless of course, I was 3. purchasing sporting goods.
Hum, let's go over your statements above;

1. In your opinion, is there any chances athletes use such device (compact, on the go as athletes can not afford taking the full system on the/their run)? ;)

2. Do you actually believe proffessional musicians or audio engineers to be the actual mass users of such devices? IE: in our field, our audio technicians do not use ear buds to monitor conferences but rather full quality headsets. I sure can not see an audio engineer using earphones/earbuds to master recordings, can you?

3. If a good majority of earbud users are actually using them for their fitness or sport activities, wouldn't make sense for a company to market them in this matter? Couldn't this be their "psychology of advertising/marketting"? ;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts