Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any many users of these boards know, I am a fan of vintage equipment.

Well, the local second-hand store had a vintage Realistic STA-2290 show up. Apparently this is a 90 WPC stereo receiver, with a super impressive power supply, circa 1985.

However, wasn't most of the Mid 80's Radio Shack stuff el crapola? From what I read, these pieces were made by Foster Electronics of Japan (now Fostex) and some people seem to like them.

Really, I have 0 use for this item, but I hate to pass something up if it is actually a good piece.

Any comments?

(P.S. They had an old Lloyds 8-track player (stand alone component) that I picked up and plugged into the H/K. How did people listen to these things?)

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Actually, back then Tandy was sourcing a lot of that product from a variety of Japanese manufacturers (a lot of Matsushita product) and rebranding it. Some of it was Foster, but there were examples of Panasonic and even Technics equipment rebranded for RS.

I can't tell you who made that particular unit, but once in a while RS unearthed some gems in that era (eg. Minimus 7's) and the 2290 does seem well regarded. You can view the actual item from their catalog on page 4.

I won't guarantee it ... but it might surprise you (although it apparently was a fairly hot running unit).

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Johnny, that is an awesome catalog link.

I like the pic of the guy with the feathered hair pouring the champagne for the lady in front of the stereo. He has the perfect lecherous look.

Man, glad I posted, even just to see that catalog!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts