Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
There -are- certain pieces of electronic equipment that take time to “settle in” after booting.
There is also the possibility that there is some sort of electrical short or bad ground in/on the cable line. What’s your demarc like? Was it raining when you were trying to watch hockey?

What about the electrical outlet, power bar, UPS your modem is plugged into - is that in proper shape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No the weather was clear and was plugged directly into wall outlet. I tried a different wall outlet and same issue. Tried a power bar also and same result.

This am it went out around 8am but fine since.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Coaxial cables installed in the wall can be an issue. There is always the possible but unlikely chance that the cable itself has been damaged by a nail or something else. One common possibility is that the barrel connector at the wall has become damaged or corroded, or the termination inside the wall was poorly done or has become corroded. I would obtain a new barrel connector, take the wall plate off, replace the F-connector if it's corroded or not a good compression fitting and install a new barrel connector. On eBay, I found 10 x "F81 Barrel 3GHz Coaxial Cable Female Splice Connector Coax Extension F Type" shipped from Canada for $8.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good advice ^
It’s at this point, if this current modem is having similar problems, that I would suggest a cable technician come to troubleshoot, pull/install new rg6 if necessary. That’s your expense, OP, since it’s inside your walls. But you can check how the wall Jack is terminated yourself, and if it’s corroded.
Another possibility is that the cable inside the house is the old rg45, which should be upgraded to higher bandwidth rg6. This newer stuff is much more rugged and much better shielded.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts