Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been with Teksavvy about 3 yrs. No issues until the summer when our internet would sporadically go out for no reason. Issue has been solved then comes back. Their tech support is brutal, with their only solution to “reboot the modem.” Have tried 3 WiFi routers to ensure that isn’t the issue.

Modem appears to just reboot itself whenever it feels like it.

Is it time to jump over to Start.ca or will I be getting the same results?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Their front liners do pretty well, in my experience, but if you can show them that you have some more advanced knowledge, you will likely get elevated to someone who knows more and can help.
Are you DSL or Cable? Are using the all-in-one modem/router from TSI, or have you bought your own router? If the latter, you should ask for them to help you bridge the TSI box and then you can set up your own router to do the login/password authentication for Teksavvy.
All sorts of issues will disappear once you do that- but you’ll need to have a bit of networking knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
I would try a different modem. (Just make sure it can be used with Start as well.) Don't know if it's cable or DSL but I had a similar issue with TSI cable internet a few years ago. It was never resolved. By chance, Rogers gave me a win back offer and they have been price matching TSI ever since. The issue was magically resolved when Rogers own internet was installed.

TSI cable internet always felt like a second rate service. There were frequent technical issues and getting them resolved was always slow. Some of the fault fell on Rogers but it was due to delays in communication and Rogers putting their own customers first. There were other issues like overbilling, failure to honour the modem warranty, overloaded internet backbone connections at TSI and loss of service when Rogers made system upgrades that finally made me want to switch.

It's a shame because I was a happy TSI DSL customer for about many years. When I first subscribed there were only 2 or 3 people in the office and Rocky (the owner) often answered the phone. Implementing cable internet was a disaster and almost destroyed the company. It only took three months of cable internet to make me leave. It also made Rocky leave the company.

·
Registered
183 Posts
He’s tried 3 modems already. This is a setup issue or a line/infrastructure issue, @ExDilbert ;
I’m leaning towards a setup issue if it’s DSL on Bell’s copper. All my DSL issues went away when I bridged the modem/router and made it simply a gateway without TSI provisioning. And this is over 3 routers with both stock and alternative firmware on them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But are you using the Teksavvy provided modem/router combo unit or ???

Nooooo never! I’m using a Technicolor 4300 modem (bought it from Teksavvy when I first went with them) and an ASUS RT-AX55 router.

They are sending me a test modem, which I believe is a combo unit, but I will only use temporarily to see if indeed it is modem causing the issues.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Have you considered Merlin? The scripts protect your privacy, streamline and solidify your network and browsing, block ads at the network level...
It was just updated yesterday, actually. The updates generally step everything I just listed above to get better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you considered Merlin? The scripts protect your privacy, streamline and solidify your network and browsing, block ads at the network level...
It was just updated yesterday, actually. The updates generally step everything I just listed above to get better.

I’ve heard the Merlin are more for the tech savvy user. I know a few things but a lot of that stuff is out of my wheelhouse.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A small investment of your time will be well worth it - the developers of the things I’ve mentioned have made it very easy for people to get hooked and take a deeper dive (if they’d like)...and I speak from experience on that because a few routers ago I was just like you. And I’m still learning things that are increasingly relevant to daily internet life and usage and configuration. So much so that I’m about to embark on an attempt to learn a programming language to build something that will hopefully improve how it functions for me (non-internet or networking related).

If there’s anything I can help you with -if you should decide to embark on a journey down that road- don’t hesitate to ask.

But back to your current issue - have you tried a different cable between the modem and router? Have you tried to set the router up to do the Teksavvy login rather than the modem? Let me see if I can find instructions to bridge your model modem...

Does this help? https://www.reddit.com/r/teksavvy/comments/kui34i Not the same model, but the steps may be the same.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A small investment of your time will be well worth it - the developers of the things I’ve mentioned have made it very easy for people to get hooked and take a deeper dive (if they’d like)...and I speak from experience on that because a few routers ago I was just like you. And I’m still learning things that are increasingly relevant to daily internet life and usage and configuration. So much so that I’m about to embark on an attempt to learn a programming language to build something that will hopefully improve how it functions for me (non-internet or networking related).

If there’s anything I can help you with -if you should decide to embark on a journey down that road- don’t hesitate to ask.

But back to your current issue - have you tried a different cable between the modem and router? Have you tried to set the router up to do the Teksavvy login rather than the modem? Let me see if I can find instructions to bridge your model modem...

Does this help? https://www.reddit.com/r/teksavvy/comments/kui34i Not the same model, but the steps may be the same.

Changing the coaxed cable is something I haven’t tried but will give it a try tomorrow. Will be interesting if the test modem they send will have the same issue.

My modem is about 3 yrs old. Maybe it’s nearing the end of its life...?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Maybe all it needs is a firmware update or a tweak to a setting that somehow isn’t right or got changed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe all it needs is a firmware update or a tweak to a setting that somehow isn’t right or got changed.

You do agree though that those combo units are not the way to go, correct?

·
Registered
183 Posts
100%. Agree completely. The all in one units do each job sort of well. A dedicated to a specific task box is the way to go.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
One of the issues I had with TSI was their inability and refusal to perform modem firmware upgrades. They were unable to perform "live" updates (like Rogers can with theirs) and they refused to perform manual updates that required a piece of equipment most people do not own. The only way to get a modem firmware update was by sending it away to someone who could do it, at a cost of over half that of a new modem and no internet in the interim. I opted for a new modem but it didn't fix the issues. It likely also resulted in my credit card info being stolen and used for unauthorized purchases. Some of that may have changed since then.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So last night I changed the coaxial from the wall to the modem. Then called Teksavvy & had them walk me through logging into the modem to check the firmware - all up to date.

I decided to reset the modem. Thought all was good, sit down to watch the hockey game...modem resets itself 4 times during the 1st period of the hockey game. I figure: whatever, the test modem will be in Monday & will use it.

Today, not one issue with rebooting.

What the heck?!?!

·
Registered
183 Posts
There -are- certain pieces of electronic equipment that take time to “settle in” after booting.
There is also the possibility that there is some sort of electrical short or bad ground in/on the cable line. What’s your demarc like? Was it raining when you were trying to watch hockey?

What about the electrical outlet, power bar, UPS your modem is plugged into - is that in proper shape?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts