Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Now that PC snd cards have the capability to convert 44/16 to 88.2, 96 and even 192/24 and many of our HT processors can accept them, I've been thinking of re-doing my backed up DVDs to 96/24 5.1.

I have almost always used 2 discs for my backups using Shrink at 0 compression, so I was wondering if any of you had tried it and might comment on the results including hrd & sftwre used.

Thanks,
Peter M.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
I'm not aware of any way to re-encode AC3 packets to a higher bit rate.

If your receiver output is clocked at 96 or 192 you're already getting the oversampling benefits so I'm not sure that it's worth the effort.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

My processor is not up converting but has the DACs and freqs to accept.
My Panny RP82 has a remaster capability to convert 44.1 to 88.2. The Panny's manual specifies that prior to using this feature ensure that your processor will accept 88.2 as many will accept 96/24 but have not included 88.2.

I probably would not have given this much thought except that I had sent my Denon 5800 for a hardware upgrade when it became available and the litereature that was returned with the unit descriibed the new audio capabilities and it included 88.2 as well as 96/24. This upgrade was meant to give the 5800 similar (but not all) of the new (at the time) 5803s audio talents.
In anycase when I used the re-master feature on the Panny the 5800/03 flashed PCM 88.2

I've since replaced the upgraded 5800 with an actual 5803 but quite frankly, as capable and powerful as these Denon's and other modern processors are, uncomprssed discrete 7.1 audio software, either on it's own or as part of a visual presentation is still unavailable.

If you believe the capabilities of Creative's latest Sound Blaster Audigy 4 and other cards even more afvanced, I was hoping that some, (like myself) were thinking that the best parts of our processors have been underutilised since at least 2003, and if the Movie Studios won't create it for us, why should we throw out our video scalers and dvd collection, to spend thousands on new mltileveled hard/sftwre, we'll just create it ourselves and have fun doing it.

Peter M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't comment on the process to do this, except for the feeling that an upconverted sound stream might break DVD compatibility. I don't think a DVD-Video disc can properly encapsulate such a sound format. But DVD-Audio is another matter.

I question whether this process will net you a good result, however. Yes, you can upconvert your sound files to any resolution you want, but no "extra" information is added. This is most likely what is happening with hardware upconversion. In the case of the Creative processor, it is manipulating low bit rate sound streams so that they sound "nicer". Again, it is impossible to create new detail in this way, but human perception is not always a cut and dried process. Perhaps they've discovered a correlated distortion with mp3 encodings?

Whether or not this makes a difference to you with your particular hardware is an experiment for you to try out. Good luck to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts