Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beginning today, Sonos customers in the United States and Canada can sign up to the Rdio service for $9.99 per month.

Created by Skype founders Niklas Zennström and Janus Friis, Rdio's says its library has more than eight million songs including content from the four major record labels (Sony Music Entertainment, EMI Group, Warner Music Group and Universal Music Group) as well as the aggregators IODA, INgrooves, The Orchard, IRIS, and Finetunes.

The service also provides Sonos users to search, browse and play music its library along with a social music discovery feature which lets users follow the musical tastes of friends and influencers, share favourite songs and playlists, explore thousands of themed playlists, and check out what's in "heavy rotation" by other Rdio listeners.

Sonos users can trial the service for seven days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone try this in Canada yet?

How is the content? From what I read online they content isn't much (everyone will want something different anyway) to write home about but its nice to have an ondamnd service with Sonos that works in Canada. (What I really want is Groveshark to work natively with sonos. :D

Is the $9.99 a month worth it? I'll probably setup the 7 day trial this week to see.

Thoughts?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to trial it. If it has an 8 million song library, a good music discovery feature and a good bitrate then its worth $10 a month for me.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I trialled it about a month ago. It's the best on-demand service North Americans have access to (I find Grooveshark really spotty when it comes to quality/organization) but I don't think it's as good as Spotify because its desktop client is pretty poor (all it does is play tracks you've queued previously on the web). This means you can't incorporate tracks on your PC into playlists - a big turnoff for me as up to 15%-20% of the songs in my playlists would go missing. Rdio is amost entirely web-based (Spotify doesn't have a web client) so that may be a plus for some people but I've found that navigating using Spotify's desktop software is much faster. Music quality is 256 kbps versus Spotify Premium's 320 kbps. If Rdio had a decent desktop client integrating both local and streaming tracks I'd gladly hand over my money.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At dinner tonight we went through looking for songs. The amount is amazing.

I'm definitely considering this.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I really really like this but:

Music Discovery Features are still weak but I can deal with that.

Big problem is that it matches your library with Rdio which is great but when it plays a song from your collection it still streams it from the net rather than play the local version.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I saw your reply over at their support forums. Hopefully they are actually working on that functionality. If not, Spotify will eat Rdio's lunch if it ever does make it over here.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I put that up 20 minutes ago!

If Rdio had a decent desktop client integrating both local and streaming tracks I'd gladly hand over my money.
I didn't appreciate what you meant when you wrote that until I started using it.

As I write this, I am listening to a jazz album that I don't have by Beegie Adair. Checked out iTunes and it's $11.99.

Beginning to rethink my decision not to sign up!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Yeah, I get an email whenever someone replies to that thread. Hugh Thompson... hey wait a minute, I recognize that name...

Honestly, if I didn't have access to Spotify then I would overlook Rdio's deficiencies and sign up. As I mentioned previously, I find Grooveshark inconsistent when it comes to quality and organization.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I assume you are using a VPN to get to Spotify (which I have).

Do you use Spotify with Sonos or just on the PC. Is the ability to mix local with remote the reason you prefer Spotify?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Once you get an account, Spotify Premium has no regional checks so a VPN is not needed. I use Spotify on my PC and my iOS devices together with AirPlay. There are several reasons why I prefer Spotify:

1) Mix local and remote tracks
2) Infinitely better desktop client -> much easier/faster to browse music
3) Spotify Social + http://sharemyplaylists.com/ (which also has an iOS app) make for a good community.
4) Playlistify http://playlistify.org/ means I can import last.fm playlists into Spotify
5) The track-based popularity graphs are pretty handy when looking through an unfamiliar artist's work (Rdio has a form of this but you need to click on each track).
6) allmusic integration.
7) Custom genre-based radio feature.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitely sounds like Spotify is the superior choice, however, I think Sonos probably has some type of check because it doesn't show up in the app. I'll have to investigate a bit more.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Wow, those Spotify sites rock.

I've been a Slacker.com paid user for a few years (somewhere around $40/year). I love it but went surfing a couple weeks ago to see what's out there these and came across Spotify while I was connected to my UK VPN. Downloaded it and have to say it was pretty cool to search for any track and play it instantly. My wife and I sat around one night each queuing up songs.

Where Slacker leans towards traditional radio, Spotify leans towards bulking up your personal library. Those 2 websites that NeilN posted might convince me to get a premium account with Spotify!

Gonna keep an eye on this Rdio thread, I looked into it but Spotify seems to hit my music funny bone better.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spotify cannot be had on Sonos. I tried the VPN route in Europe without success.

I am still thinking about signing up for Rdio as we really liked it this past weekend.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hugh, while digging around I came across this:

I live in Norway, and have successfullt added Spotify to my Sonos system. The system was bought in the US, so all I did prior to downloading the 3.3 update was to update my sonos-profile; I changed the country/area to Norway.

I had no problems adding Spotify after this.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
bucketo, I also have a Slacker account and you're right that Slacker is focused on providing personal radio stations. Its customization options in that area are much better than Spotify's. However, as you say, Slacker has no on-demand functionality.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have subbed to Rdio. I enjoyed it enough that I will try it for a month of two. The online access plus the iPhone app tipped me over.

In a month or two, I will review again and possibly reconsider Spotify

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New Rdio app for iPhone this week.

Much improved.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Which package?

I am liking my 7 day trial. Good selection and very good sound quality. Think I will sign up for the 4.99 streaming only plan. What about the rest of you? I have an iPhone but doubt the sound quality would be as good over 3G. Seems you can download and sync also but I read that there may be Canadian restrictions in this area.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts