Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow,

Talk about a blast from the past. I'm in the Brick the other day, and saw a killer deal on a 52" RCA LCD. PQ was no better or worse than the other sets hooked up around it, and the price was superb (<$700).

Anyone even know who makes RCA sets anymore, or anyone have experience with their LCDs? I have an 8 year old 52" RCA rear-projection CRT TV, and it has done exceedingly well through 8 years of family abuse.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I didn't know they were still around. I, too, have an RCA RPTV. A 61" Scenium. Still working well, but has been moved to basement duty after the arrival of my Samsung 67".

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, a little more digging suggests that any RCA TV should be labeled with a sticker that says "Run Away. Fast!"

Looks like RCAs are now being made by the ON Corporation, a Chinese electronics brander. Yours and mine RCAs were likely built by Thomson, the French company that bought the RCA electronics from GE.

There was one other company also between Thomson and ON that made RCAs. So really, Thomson has pretty much given up on the brand, and licenses it to a company so that their mass-produced substandard panel TVs have a little more cachet to them.

Too bad, as I remember the day when RCA was the best quality TV available to us unwashed masses.

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
^^^^
RCA was very instrumental in the development of televion in the U.S., back when they were owned by NBC. They developed what became the NTSC colour system. Thompson owned them several years ago, but as has been mentioned, it's now simply a brand that has been sold to whoever wants to pay for the name. As with other such cases, it's no longer quality product, but cheap junk.

BTW, our first TV, when I was a kid, was a 21" RCA B&W. IIRC, my mother said it cost over $400, back in the mid fifties. That would have been about a month's pay then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts