Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's new camera can take both JPEG and RAW photos. Everything we've read so far seems to indicate that you want to keep the RAW ones so you can process them with external software, etc...

Anyway, so far the camera has been set to take RAW + JPEG 90% of the time. We've sent many of the photos that have been taken to friends / family and the software used to send it (either iPhoto or Nikon ViewNX) has always created a new JPEG of whatever size / resolution we've wanted.

So, is it even worth taking the JPEG photos? I'm thinking the RAW ones are all we really need but just want to make sure we aren't missing something before we flip the switch.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would appear that the RAW file is twice (2x) the size of the same JPEG produced by the camera. The memory card we have is 4GB and the camera will shoot 180 RAW + JPEG photos with that. Since my wife is only averaging 40-50 photos a day on our vacation and we upload to the mac every evening we don't have an immediate issue. :)

For the time being we don't mind needing to use a computer to process the RAW photo being getting it printed, etc... Longer term, my wife can decide what she wants to do.

Proteosome; thanks for the link. It was very helpful!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.