Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
I saw that as well but mines only going up by a couple of bucks as far as I can tell. Still maddening but at least now our area is going all digital and getting all the programming everyone else gets so I don't mind as much.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mine is going up a few dollars again too. Looks like Movie Central went from $16.00 to $18.95. At least HD Plus is grandfathered at $12 and not going up to $16, but who knows if/when Shaw will decide to change that too. I have never seen another company that increases rates more frequently than Shaw...do they think every time they add a few channels that we should be paying more?

·
Registered
248 Posts
$18.95 is the current standalone rate for Movie Central. The bundled rate is going from $16 to $17 on September 1st.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
$18.95 is the current standalone rate for Movie Central. The bundled rate is going from $16 to $17 on September 1st.
The standalone $18.95 rate is going Down to $17.00 too :)

Shaw Employee. All views are strictly my own.

·
Registered
494 Posts
That's incredible that Shaw keeps raising rates every few months. What ever happened to regulated prices? Great way to drive away customers.

Its also interesting that every quarter Shaw seems to be making record profits...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That's incredible that Shaw keeps raising rates every few months. What ever happened to regulated prices? Great way to drive away customers.

Its also interesting that every quarter Shaw seems to be making record profits...
If you do not subscribe to HDplus the last rate adjustment was a year ago. In that year period the other 2 providers in your area have had larger increases based on average packages and more so over the past 2 years. Still With that in mind, rate increases are frustrating, but I still think the pricing holds up very well out there. I am a customer too, don't like but I can understand it. When I weigh things up for my average package compared to others I feel a little more content but the frustration is still there of course.

The CRTC relies on competition instead of regulated rates I believe.

Shaw Employee. All views are strictly my own.

·
Banned
382 Posts
I think the prices charged by the oligopolistic providers (Bell/Telus, Shaw/Rogers) for basic TV are way too high. Luckily I and some others have an alternative available - namely free OTA + free and paid online alternatives. I feel badly for the folks without good OTA coverage, though. They are forced to buy expensive receivers and pay ridiculous monthly rates for something folks in urban areas can usually get for free, and have no choice but to fork over the regular price increases, or go without TV.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I went back and checked my last Shaw invoice (July 16 to August 15) and there is no mention of any rate increases. I will be annoyed if there is a price increase with no notice on my next invoice (August 16 to September 15).

My feeling is that Shaw's cable TV rates are quite high and in particular the rate for Movie Central is high considering the quality of programming. My reaction to a rate increase will likely be to reduce the services I subscribe to. As the cost of a service increases it's value to me decreases unless the content value also increases.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Shaw, and probably all the leading cable suppliers in any given market, have probably figured out that demand is relatively inelastic if price rises are small but frequent. Any drop in subscription is probably offset by the rate hikes (pure profit).

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Let's be clear. Inflation dictates an annual price increase. Much of Shaw's or any cable /sat providers cost is labour which goes up every year. REgulatory costs and taxation also accounts for major increases.

What you have to look at is whether those price increases have exceeded inflation or not and is Shaw's ROI increasing dramatically or not.

Now, having said that, my suspicion is Shaw's non-labour costs have dropped dramatically over the last few years (since now the cost of capital and maintenance is spread over three products: digital phone, internet, and cable) so the overall price increases have probably significantly exceeded inflation.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Looked at my bill again and I "think" it's actually going down.
My current monthly charges before taxes(stupid HST) is $128.80. Then it says......
"Effective Sept. 1 , 2010 , the mothly rate for your services will be adjusted to $123.85 plus taxes."
It must be a mistake but who knows, or I'm just out to lunch.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Looked at my bill again and I "think" it's actually going down.
My current monthly charges before taxes(stupid HST) is $128.80. Then it says......
"Effective Sept. 1 , 2010 , the mothly rate for your services will be adjusted to $123.85 plus taxes."
It must be a mistake but who knows, or I'm just out to lunch.
I almost thought the same thing. Mine after charges is 127, but before is 120.95 I think. Says its going up to 123.95. Are you sure that first number isn't the after taxs number?

Needless to say I'm dropping the total package or whatever its called. These price increases are happening twice a year now and are much higher then the rate of inflation. I think there was 2 or 3 bux last fall, and another few bux last spring.

I know me cutting down won't make a dent, but its the principal. Going to cut down to the HD package for 76.95, 2 channels for 3.95, plus timeshifting. Knock almost 40 dollars a month off the bill.

If Telus ever got access to Centre Ice I'd seriously consider giving them shot.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Shaw, and probably all the leading cable suppliers in any given market, have probably figured out that demand is relatively inelastic if price rises are small but frequent. Any drop in subscription is probably offset by the rate hikes (pure profit).
But now there competing with free online streaming of eps (and not so legal sources as well). It might up like the music industry where they charge too much for the product and people went to illegal sources. (or in the case of TV alot of it streams legally for free on the net).

Cable companies are really just a middleman between the tv stations and the customer. If the internet takes over as the middleman what'll be left for cable companies? They don't really thing too far in the future. They'll end up gouging away alot of their customers, while the internet takes over TV distribution. Probably be a slow conversion, but it'll happen.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Cable prices no longer regulated

Oh yeah, and the CRTC got rid of cable price regulation a few years ago. Not many people kicked up a fuss when that was proposed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine is going up by $6 as well. Does anyone know what is actually going up in price...Digital TV, Internet, All in channels, Movie Channels, TimeShift, HD? Would be kind of nice to know rather then have to wait a month to find-out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If only I could cut services to compensate…

I'd love to reduce my cable bill, but the provider-friendly channel bundling (that we were promised would go away with digital delivery) pretty much ties my hands. I only want 4 stations outside of the Basic Cable bundle: 2 are in Tier 1, 1 is in Tier 2, and 1 requires a Digital box (which I don't currently have). When I last asked to drop Tier 3 channels (since I don't watch any of them), I was told my bill would go up by $1/month. In what other business would that make sense? Why can't I just buy those four channels (3 of which are Canadian)?

When I am getting a 0% wage increase at work (which I am certain looks pretty good to my laid off colleagues), any increase by my TV service provider is a problem. To be honest, if the CFL wasn't exclusively on TSN, we might have dumped cable altogether for the small amount we watch live TV. Heck, we've had a high def TV for 1.5 years and have stuck with analogue SD to keep the ever-rising costs in check.

With record profits at Shaw, this seems like a bad time for a price "adjustment."

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I'd love to reduce my cable bill, but the provider-friendly channel bundling (that we were promised would go away with digital delivery) pretty much ties my hands. I only want 4 stations outside of the Basic Cable bundle: 2 are in Tier 1, 1 is in Tier 2, and 1 requires a Digital box (which I don't currently have). When I last asked to drop Tier 3 channels (since I don't watch any of them), I was told my bill would go up by $1/month. In what other business would that make sense? Why can't I just buy those four channels (3 of which are Canadian)?

When I am getting a 0% wage increase at work (which I am certain looks pretty good to my laid off colleagues), any increase by my TV service provider is a problem. To be honest, if the CFL wasn't exclusively on TSN, we might have dumped cable altogether for the small amount we watch live TV. Heck, we've had a high def TV for 1.5 years and have stuck with analogue SD to keep the ever-rising costs in check.

With record profits at Shaw, this seems like a bad time for a price "adjustment."
For most customers who have 2 tiers and extra outlets they often find that the discounts that are built into the Classic Cable package actually make that package cheaper than ordering everything individually.
As for the desire to select individual channels only this is something that has been talked about at length with the Canadian government as there are rules and regulations in place currently preventing individual must carry options such as that (at least as far as I know).
When it comes to increases no-one likes to pay more and believe me I'm in the same boat. However cable is not the only industry with regular increases as I know every time I pull up to the pump for gas I'm hit byt the "increase of the week" shock.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.