Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rate Your OTA Knowledge

• Guru: long time industry veteran

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Sensei: Pretty darn good at all this

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • Dangerously Knowledgeable: but still learning!

Votes: 46 54.8%
  • Awed: I'm a geek but I never knew all this amazing stuff!

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Bitter: I hate simsubs, the CRTC, and maple syrup!

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Thrifty: I don't care about the tech, I just want to save $$$

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oblivious: What's OTA? Is that some new vitamin?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just for fun, let us know (don't worry, it's anonymous) how you would rate your knowledge of OTA and all the technical facets of it? :)

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
It works, so I must be doing something right? ;)

But seriously, my knowledge level is a moving target: Everyday I learn something new here at DH.

·
Registered
33 Posts
OTA is a crap-shoot. I just thrive for omni no nonsense reception. Just keep throwing wire in the air until something actually works.:eek:
lol canuck that was my 1st test for getting OTA

strip down a piece of coax stick it outside, scan to see what I could get, I got 11-1 so I went shopping for an antenna

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Very low. I last did OTA in those Days of BBC1 and ITV when BBC2 started when I watched the man put the aerial on the chimney. A baby antenna amongst the great big VHF ones.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yes - I guess in 1964 I put my own BBC 2 UHF aerial up - I was surprised at the time how well it worked - maybe I shouldn't have been! Yes fairly happy with my knowledge but ALWAYS something new to learn!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Bitter; but while on the subject of what I like
1] Frank's Red Hot sauce
2] long walks on beaches

oh wait that's the wrong topic
sorry

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
$$$$$ :):)

And I do care about the tech- whatever will get me more channels. And gotta love that PQ!

Don't like the simsubs/big brother; like the US commercials- good for shopping.

Not a geek- just an OTA nut.

Always learning, but some of that gec and other plot/layout stuff is much, just give me dbs!

Frank's RedHot? Just bought a bottle yesterday and Blue Cheese dip- always seem to run out.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Frank's Red Hot sauce? That's for children and the elderly. Try either Matouk's West Indian Hot Sauce from Trinidad or else Sambal Oelek from Indonesia. Now that's hot! :D

Anyways, the poll is turning out to be quite informative - Canadians are smart people and OTAers are an even smarter bunch. :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
I was going to go the "Bitter" route...but I like maple syrup. I thought about the "Thrifty" selection, but I do care about the tech stuff. I was going to select the "Awed" selection, as I'm a geek (according to my wife :rolleyes:), but I knew just how amazing this OTA stuff was before I got involved. So the only selection for me left at this point was the "Dangerously Knowledgeable" :D.

I don't think too many here will be selecting "Oblivious" as if they made it to this site, they most likely have a clue as to what OTA is.

·
Registered
118 Posts
OTA is very addicting, my initial interest was just to get a few HD channels at no monthly cost. That soon turned into an upgraded goal, namely, maximizing reception of deepest fringe channels, while learning as much possible about this great new ATSC technology.

"OTA deep fringe reception can be an enigma wrapped in a mystery surrounded by a conundrum":confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts