Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the new NBA season about to kick off, does anyone else hate how the RaptorsTV in HD looks like crap? Why do we have to pay for channels in HD that look worse than they would in SD? This is utter b/s on Roger's part. The least they could do is broadcast the games in HD like on Sportsnet or TSN.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Ever thought that maybe its station and not Rogers?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hugh,
That may be true, however, given that Rogers is CHARGING a premium for HD channels, it's their responsibility to make sure the stations comply with HD requirements.

You can't charge for a HD station to the consumer then then say well it's not our fault the station isn't using HD. Can't have it both ways either charge and make sure it is HD or don't charge for HD.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Rogers, but in this case, Rogers can only broadcast what they get from Raptors TV. They have a pretty miniscule budget, so any locally produced content won't look that great. The pre-season games, especially, not only were they only on SD, but they used limited camera feeds, and the PQ was atrocious.

Garbage in, garbage out, as they say.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
it's their responsibility to make sure the stations comply with HD requirements.
Rogers has no such responsibility, they are a service provider who is a "conduit" for the broadcasters. If the broadcaster doesn't provide good quality, then it's the viewers who will (eventually) decide their fate. There are lots of "HD" channels that show almost nothing but upconverted SD. I never watch them.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Rogers has no such responsibility, they are a service provider who is a "conduit" for the broadcasters.
Exactly. Distributors are responsible for getting the product to the consumer in the same condition they received and nothing more. Now if Rogers and any BDU compresses or distorts the signal so what they deliver is worse than the originating signal, then we can discuss.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i have written to raptorsTV / NBA many times complaining about the poor quality of raptors games, even the ones broadcasted in HD during the season, let alone the raptor game in an hour or any other LD (low def) broadcasts throughout the year.

their response is basically, "sorry we do what we can".

suck it up. bend over.

·
Registered
137 Posts
In today's Toronto Star they report that there's only 2 games on Raptors TV this season anyway. So, who needs Raptors TV. TSN2 however is going to have 25 games and TSN2 isn't carried by Rogers. As well, no games on Sportsnet. I guess Uncle Ted doesn't like basketball.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
i have written to raptorsTV / NBA many times complaining about the poor quality of raptors games, even the ones broadcasted in HD during the season, let alone the raptor game in an hour or any other LD (low def) broadcasts throughout the year.

their response is basically, "sorry we do what we can".

suck it up. bend over.
Besides finding your post amusing, I will add that this is not Rogers' fault. Rogers does a lot wrong but in this case the problem is with Raptors TV. If Rogers was to NOT carry Raptors TV because the quality was poor, then we'd have a ton of people complaining.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i dunno if it was just a fluke but i caught saturday night's raptor game late sunday night on raptors game in an hour... and it was in HD!!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's true that there aren't many Raptors games this season on Raptors TV, but it seems like there are many more live games than before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts