Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I am new to this form and I am wanting to build one of these antennas I have plenty of coat hangers to use and I wonder will this work about as good as copper tube or aluminum tube for a gray hoverman antenna if not is there another one that would work better that you know of ? I am thinking I will have to build one for my UHF and Hi-VHF channels which I have these channels 7,15,21,26 and then I think I will have to build another one for the local channel 2 and since I would have to build another antenna for that channel does anyone know how long of a wire I would have to use to get in channel 2 good or a free program that I could use to create an antenna for channel 2 ?

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Post your TVFool image so we can see how much of antenna you need for channel 2. Keep in mind, a channel 2 antenna is going to be large.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only posted one for my city not down to my zip code because I didn't know if I should post to my zip code I could change it to my zip code if needed but I am but I am maybe 20? miles from the towers because I know where some of the towers are and what they say where the towers are and what tv fool says for how many miles I am away from them don't match up so I am guessing about maybe 20 miles

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I am thinking I will have to build one for my UHF and Hi-VHF channels which I have these channels 7,15,21,26 and then I think I will have to build another one for the local channel 2
With those incredibly high NM's, I think you could do well (and even get channel 2 (and even channel 7 without NARODs)) with a very simple to build reflector less SBGH. :p

I have plenty of coat hangers to use and I wonder will this work about as good as copper tube or aluminum tube for a gray hoverman antenna
No coat hangers will not work as well, because for one thing, theyre not long enough for each half of the element. For indoor use, just pick up a 5 ft piece of 10-2 house wiring from Lowes or Home Depot etc and strip off the wire. Only a couple of bucks, and save the coat hangers for clothes.

·
Banned
262 Posts
Heck, looking at that tvfool as is, that indoor wire would do just fine for channel two, if it doesn't get overwhelmed by the signal, first.

·
Registered
18 Posts
djm21 asked for the length of wire needed to receive real channel 2 which broadcasts between 54 and 60 Mhz. A folded dipole, cut for 57 Mhz, would be 95" long by 4" wide. All of the transmitter towers in Rapid City are located on the "mountain" which splits the town in half. If djm21 is on the east side of town he shouldn't have a problem picking up KOTA. On the other hand, if he is on the west side of town, especially if he is down in the valley, he could have a much more difficult time receiving ABC. Can he see the towers from his location?
Good luck
Liteguy from Aberdeen SD (in the north-east corner of the state)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So for tv Fool

Well here is one for my zip code http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=3cf4afb895a8d1 there is only a small difference in miles only like a point of a mile so this would close enough then ? No I can not see the towers from my house it may seem like I should I could since it says some are only 6 miles from my house but nope to me they seem father then only 6 miles

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Since you have VERY POWERFUL Ch2 signals, you shouldn't need any "special" Ch2 antenna....
pretty much any length of wire (or paperclip) will work, as will most any UHF or Hi-VHF/UHF antenna.
However, to receive Ch5, you might need a set of Rabbit Ears...or better, a Ch5 Folded Dipole.
What you SHOULD do is try a Hi-VHF and UHF antenna(s) of your choice and see if it
ALSO picks up Ch2 and Ch5....then you can decide if you need to add a Lo-VHF antenna.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
As already stated, nothing special should be required for channel 2. Even a UHF antenna should work, though a VHF/UHF antenna would work better. Something like a Channel Master 4221HD or a home built M4 or SBGH should be adequate for channels 2 down to 10 in the TV Fool chart. The only exception may be channel 5, but I wouldn't rule that out until it is tried.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you

Thank You for your help everyone I will post on here how it goes for me if anyone is interested probably post a couple of pictures and tell how well it works for me to get in the channels now I just have to build it I know I have plenty of hangers to use for the UHF I am thinking about building one of the Gray Hoverman style I also know I have some copper wire that is thinner then a coat hanger than I can use I am trying to build it all from stuff I have and see how well it works and then improve on it later on if I need to Oh just one other thing I wonder for right now does it take down the gain much if I was to pant like the wire from coat hangers ? Because I know they will rust in time so that is the only problem I have right now that I am trying to over come with what I have got

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I wonder for right now does it take down the gain much if I was to pant like the wire from coat hangers ?
Paint decreases the velocity factor of the wire, in essence making the wire shorter. Some gain will be lost on the lower channels and you dont want to paint the connections.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I built a test GH (without reflector) from a piece of 1x4, some stripped 14/2 house wire and some sheet metal screws. It works fine but isn't suitable for outdoor use. The final version required better materials.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
The final version required better materials.
That's true, one of these days I'll actually get around to doing the same.
For now my original "test version" from winter 2009 still hangs proudly (and sadly) outside in the elements. Knowing myself, likely until it falls apart someday, hehe. Honestly I never expected it to hold up as long as it has:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts