Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this evening I received a call from 1-888-655-0053.

The guy who spoke asked for me by name, and asked if he could check to see if I was eligible for a better deal on my home phone. I'm always skeptical when a company calls me to tell me that they can save me money. Doesn't seem like very practical business sense.

That being said, I'm currently getting boned on my home phone long distance plan, $16.95 for unlimited provincial.

He was able to tell me my last bill amount, and my approximate long distance minute usage within 2 minutes of putting me on hold.

His offer was for $2 for 1500 US and Canada LD minutes with a 1-year commitment, additionally I would receive an extra $5 off a month for the duration of the contract on top of my current bundle discounts.

Is this too good to be true? Has anyone else been contacted with the same offer?

I didn't accept, although I was tempted, asked for their business hours and if I could call back to get the same offer. He said I could and gave me the same phone # they called from, repeated his name and told me their hours are 1pm-9pm on weekdays and 10am-6pm on weekends.

Let me know what you think...

·
Registered
70 Posts
You're a customer or in a market Bell considers to be at competitive risk. Bell Retention agents will pre-emptily call customers to make their services and price points in line with what Rogers will likely offer you so that WHEN Rogers calls, or WHEN Rogers sends you the direct mailing offer you will have something comparable from Bell and will be in a term commitment.

It's actually smart business wise. I say if you like Bell and the offer interests you, take it. If you're on the fence, wait to see what Rogers mails you or is mass marketing in your area - chances are they might be offering a slightly better price.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It's a good idea to shop around for competing LD plans. Those Bell plans sound good until they add in the "access fees." Then you find out about the long term contract you just "signed" (by phone.) The "free LD" plans are only worthwhile for high use situations. I haven't paid an LD fee or LD access fee for 10 years and simply pay $0.03/min. It's always cheaper than Bell's LD plans.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts