Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit by 57:

For those having reception issues, check the weather radar for Toronto to ensure the issue is not with the uplink in Toronto. If the uplink is down, please use the following thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=158777

Radar Links:

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WKR

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?location=USMI0127&enlarge=true&animate=true

Most times the issue is with weather over your own location, or a misalignment of your dish, not with the uplink, but the uplink does go down several times a year when there is bad weather in Toronto - the weather usually needs to be pretty bad. We've been monitoring the situation for several years now and only very heavy precipitation affects the uplink and it's usually of relatively short duration - a few minutes to 1/2 hour max.

See post 3 of this thread for links to previous years - number of uplink outages (2010-2012) and duration (2012).

Hi Gang - still considering a switch from Rogers to Bell TV and wondering if rain fade is still an issue?

I was ExpressVu from 99-04 and very rarely had a weather related outage but it did happen.

I've heard that with the new satellite they are using that rain fade is no longer an issue.

Thoughts? Comments?

THANKS!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
As long as the Dish is accurately aimed, Rain Fade is a very minor issue. You will get outages if a real major heavy storm passes between either the Uplink Station in Toronto and the Sats, or between your Dish and the Sats.

So far this year I have lost signal twice, for a few minutes each time, no major problem as far as I am concerned and both times it was on SD channels on the older/weaker sats at 91 degrees, the 82 bird still had signal.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
I've heard that with the new satellite they are using that rain fade is no longer an issue.
Not at all true. Here's the thread on the topic from 2010. Quite a few outages at the uplink last year which affected everyone. Of course additional outages can occur due to rain and snow fade at your location, depending on the amount of snow or rain you get as well as your dish aiming, location and size...

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=126345

Here's the official 2011 thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=138780

And the 2012 thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=150334

·
Registered
292 Posts
Rain fade at the uplink station is rare and there's nothing you can do about it.
however rain fade at your location can be prevented, the larger the dish the less rain fade will effect you.
one of my dishes is an old 42" *choice dish i modded It can't rain hard enough to take that down to unwatchable. during hurricane danny a couple years ago the lowest transponder i could find on 91 was 64%.
snow sticking to any dish will become a problem, highly waxed ground level dishes will make this issue very small and less troublesome.
The height of the dish is where you get your gain, so skewing the 22" dishes drops the height of the dish your using. 2 22" dishes one @ 91 1 @82 will also give you gain. properly alaigned rain fade will be minimized greatly once again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I live in SW Ontario, and we had some serious snowstorms this past winter. I was dreading snow fade, but it didn't happen once. A vast improvement, from a few years ago.

·
Registered
292 Posts
the bigger the dish the stronger the quality, even with an equal s/q the larger dish takes much more interferance before this will drop.
here's a rough example-place a 22" dish and a 30" dish side by side both locked on the same bird with the same s/q if you then place your hand on the 22" dish you may see a signal drop of 20% while the 30" will on be effected to a drop of 15% imagine your hand is rain or snow and you realize the advantage of a larger dish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I heard that there is less of an issue with rain fade, but it is still an issue. I always seems to lose my signal at the worst possible times. I have considered switching over myself, but am wondering if I would be better off going with cable. This would eliminate this issue all together. Do you think it's worth it?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
My dish goes out all the time even with the slightest bit of drizzle. I used to be able to watch my local on the antenna but with them now going digital I can watch nothing. Satellite 82 was not bad but now will all SD Channels going over to Satellite 91 its really bad.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
As indicated in the links in post 3, you should not have fade issues if your dish is properly aimed, secured and properly sized for your location, unless there is very heavy rain/snow at your location or at the uplink. Of course you also need a clear line of sight to the satellite, so no trees in the way, etc.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Im using a Dish 500 for signal and I never get any rain fade unless the hell fire from the sky opens up, which isn't very often maybe 1-2 a year.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
lost signal again...

Lost Signal here now. Multple times. I'm currently working from home and heard the 9242 reboot itself in the other room It wasn't even on at the time.
I checked channels and they all worked. Went to system info and it says tuner 1 lost signal 2 times, tuner 2 lost signal 7 times. Thats from 9:55 to 11:42 today.
I thought the rain had passed, so I ran check switch and it failed. Its raining hard here now.
I suspect it losses signal a lot more than reported, not too many people watch tv 24/7. Last time i checked, sunday night, signal was good. I lost part of a recording with the sunday evening rain, so i checked.
I'll check again when the storm passes. It must be coming down hard, I hear it.

Edit: 1 pm and all channels are back. Sat 82 is 100%, Sat 91 is 75-87%, generally evens higher than odd, except for tx 01, which is highest @ 87. Maybe needs some tweekeng?? Or is this normal??

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's just signal strength. What is your BER? Are you getting all the signal or just sidelobe? You could be offset by as little as 0.5degrees and 32,000kms later you're looking at a big difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What's the best transponer ?

Is there a perfer transponder to use to setup the 91 and 82 ? Is there a step by step directions, where to setup the dish for the first time ?

1 - 20 of 122 Posts