Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
during severe rain, some channels (TSN's usually) lose reception and go to black. That's nothing new, but just recently, when the rain subsides, only the audio returns again, while video just stays in black. This never used to be the case. When weather lifted video digitally reappeared. The only way to get video back now after a storm is to change channels. Needless to say, this sucks for recordings in progress. Even if the downfall lasts a minute, video is toast for the rest the recording.
Anyone else have this problem lately? This is on both my DSR630 and DSR605's. I'm thinking a recent update messed something up.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
do you mean you never lose the signal, or if you do, you regain picture again after the weather lifts, and if a recording is in progress?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
do you mean you never lose the signal, or if you do, you regain picture again after the weather lifts, and if a recording is in progress?
The latter, after the loss from rain my picture comes back, and shortly after that the any recordings will continue.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Ok, thanks. There must be either something wrong with my feed (too weak to bring back the picture), or all my machines have a software glitch.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
@noah12 : Southern Ontario and Toronto had heavy rain last night. It's possible the uplink for the SD channels you checked were being disrupted by the heavy downpour.
hey LONsat - do you have any idea what cities Shaw Direct uplinks from? I think Mississauga is one - any others? Trying to trace some "lost-satellite" reception problems which loosely follow some rain patterns I'm witnessing. Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mississauga and Calgary are the two uplink sites. I don't *think* I have anything readily available about which channels are coming from which, but let me poke around...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Apparently I lied! There's currently an uplink in Vancouver as well, but it will no longer active post-MPEG-4 conversions. G1 is solely out of Calgary, F1R and F2 will be mostly out of Mississauga. I don't have specifics as I guess there's conversations right now about movements, so anything as of today could be changing soon.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Apparently I lied! There's currently an uplink in Vancouver as well, but it will no longer active post-MPEG-4 conversions. G1 is solely out of Calgary, F1R and F2 will be mostly out of Mississauga. I don't have specifics as I guess there's conversations right now about movements, so anything as of today could be changing soon.
Any change to this information in the last year or so - is Toronto the sole uplink for the F birds, and Calgary/Vancouver the G1 uplink locations?

61 - 72 of 72 Posts