Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a feeling that attempting to switch feeds to go through a different uplink would take longer than the time it would take to for the storm to move through, then again, I really have nothing to back that up.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Hi everyone it's alittle before 8:00 on the West Coast and we're getting lots of dropouts and signal errors. I see some storms on the radar maps for TO is there another thunderstorm problem?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Must be. We're in the East Kootenays and we're getting a lot of "Acquiring Signal" and freeze-ups. It's strange, because I can count on one hand the # of times that's happened in the 15 or so years we've been with them.

·
Super Moderator
56,456 Posts
As you can see from the radar maps linked earlier in this thread, there are huge storms going through Toronto this evening. Most of the time storms roll through in the afternoon when most people are at work.

Post 19 by SD seems to intimate that it's rare that all the channels would be affected, due to multiple uplinks, unlike BTV which only has one (post 11)

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?location=USMI0127&enlarge=true&animate=true

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WKR Then press play

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Hi everyone thanks for the info on the Shaw uplink. So if theres bad weather in TO does that knock out all the channels that Classicsat said or can Shaw send them to other upllinks?
No. Each uplink is equipped only for the channels it uplinks, mostly local channels, although there is no technical reason to not set up a full backup up link in Calgary or the like, and feed it with fibre, and have a Plan B if Mississauga will be down for some time.
The thing with storm outages, is that they are too short to bother switching.

In extreme circumstances, they could map the HD channels to the SD version, like they did not to long ago.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Anyone else having problems tonight? I'm in the BC interior and we've having major signal issues tonight (no rain here either). Is there another storm at the uplink site?

·
Registered
3 Posts
signal strength varies in the rain

Short of swapping the entire cable run, I'm at the end of my rope and looking for suggestions. I'm a DIY guy who does not like to ask *C for help ...

Here's my setup:
-DSR505
-200' cable, half of it is buried
-18db inline amp halfway along the cable run
-60E dish and matching lnb

The Problem:
-no/low signal strength when it rains

The Symptoms:
-channel 299 and 712 have ~8.0db s/n on sunny days
-on rainy days 0-4 db s/n (options 6-4-7)
-signal strength channel 299 78 sunny days (options 6-4-3-1)
-channel 712 signal strength up to 90
-started showing these symptoms since this past winter - no equipment changes before then

Over the past month or two, I've attempted these remedies:
-swapped inline amp (no change)
-swapped lnb (no change)
-removed inline amp (signal worsens)
-downloaded DSLook Angle Calculator to help visualize line of sight
-adjusted dish aiming with meter and with built-in diagnostic menus
-trimmed nearby branches (no change)
-removed waterproofing on all outdoor connectors, saw no water ingress and replaced afterwards

I am open to your suggestions.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
u will never eliminate rain fade problems.
But if ur having problems under mild / casual rainfall your system could be improved. Have you tried a larger antenna? What size dish u have now and what's ur location?

Somewhat related post in a diff thread related to rain fade.
http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1434516&postcount=35

edit: what brand inline amp? to be honest, Have never seen an inline amp work for satellite purposes.
Why is it placed halfway down the line, and not closer to the antenna?
when ya removed the amp temporarily, did you do any further dish alignment while disconnected?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the link, I will review it.

I expect a bit of signal loss, but not total. I added a line above - the problem has only been around since last winter has passed.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
in heavy rain, like thunderstorms, will almost always be total loss of signal, typically as the storms are approaching, because the dish is usually looking thru more of the rain than when it is directly overhead. Also keep in mind there are fades in the uplink direction wherever the uplink transmitter is located as well (say Toronto)??

Moderate rainfall shouldn't cause ya to lose completely unless something is wrong.
60E is kinda small. Ya might have better results with a 75E or next one bigger than that. probly depends where u are located.

·
Registered
983 Posts
vincedeon,

I'll tell you where to look, underground!

I did a service call for a Bell TV customer three or four years ago, experiencing very similar problems.

He also had around 150 - 200 feet of cable underground.

Adjusting the dish, changing the LNB's did not change things.

So, we dug up the line and guess what we found?

The Bell Tech who installed it must've run out of cable and attached a new piece using the proper F81 barrel connector WITHOUT any weather protection.

When I opened up the connections, they were corroded.

I replaced the entire length of cable, he got all his signal strength back, and I haven't heard from him since.

So, did you install & bury the line? If you did, can you remember if the line is a single piece?

Maybe there is a small knick or cut somewhere along the buried portion of the line, and when it rains, water is absorbing into the ground and getting into the damaged section.

Also, I believe 200 feet of cable does not require any kind of in-line amplifier.

I'd ditch that too, in my opinion.

Honestly, if I was you, I'd replace that entire line, be sure you use the proper RG6 coax, and make it a single piece.

The time required will less than all the troubleshooting.

I just thought of another idea; it could be a receiver problem. If you know someone with a working Shaw receiver, ask them to try it out at your place, and install yours at their place. If you have a cable/dish problem, their receiver will act up too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
As above, 200' should require NO amplification at all, it is well within the specs.

I would question the type of RG6 line used underground, is it the correct 'flooded' type of cable.? If not then even tree roots can damage the outer sheathing and allow water into the cable.

As you seam to say it is a recent issue, I would be looking for corrosion somewhere, including moisture ingress into the cable or a hidden connection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to all.

My job jar, in this order:
-inspect cable end to end, replace if required
-remove inline amp
-replace 4x4 PT post with metal post with concrete base

It'll be a while but I'll report back with findings.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Reception issues in the rain

... and I'm not talking thunderstorms, I'm talking normal rain.

As long as I've had Shaw Direct, I've noticed that reception during inclement weather is absolutely horrendous. I've had Bell and US providers in the past and while they would go out during bad storms (typically right before, and then come back right as the rain gets overhead) rain was never an issue. Rain kills HD channels, and SD channels often go out too but not for as long.

One thing I noticed right now is as I am watching National Geographic HD has an ECB of 5.5, and it's a perfectly clear night. When I've got PBS HD on in the morning for my son the ECB is around 6. The new G1 channels look fantastic, 10 or so. Happens on both receivers.

Is the sigh simply not aligned very well and needs to be peaked? Is sitting through hours of hold the only option, or can I send them an email about this and see what they say about having someone come out to look at it?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yes, you need a realignment... your F2 Ecb/No.s are extremely low for the two channels you mentioned. I get 8.3 NG HD and 8.7 on PBS HD. Your G1 numbers are close to what I'm getting... in the 10s.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nope. Had that option been available I would have gladly used it.

Having said that, the person who I talked to was very friendly and a pleasure to deal with.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts