Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit by 57:

For those having reception issues, check your own weather conditions, but also check the weather radar for Toronto to ensure the issue is not with the uplink in Toronto. If the uplink is down, some, but usually not all channels are affected on Shaw Direct:

Radar Links:

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WKR

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?location=USMI0127&enlarge=true&animate=true

Anyone getting rain fade during the past week or so? We've had some pretty good rain activity in SW Ontario. I've been getting a bit of rainfade on some of the HD channels. To the point that the 630 told me that I had to reauthorize it. Problem went away after the rain let up.

I just did a relocate last year to a 6x6 post I cemented 4' into the ground. I really hope that I don't need another relocate.

I guess HD has moved to both F1 and F2 birds? I get a slightly better signal on one bird than the other.... In clear weather, my Sig strength is in the high 80's - low 90's and the quality is in the 7-10range.....

P

·
Registered
409 Posts
Same In Northeast B.C.

Have lost signal a couple of times but was pouring at the time. One time there was a pretty good electrical storm in the general direction my dish points. Lightening seems to bother it more then just rain unless it's really heavy.

ps: my buddy has Bell lost it the same time

·
Registered
849 Posts
I was at a friends house last weekend who has Bell EV. Moderate rain seemed to wipe out the signal. I was surprised, because it was steady but not that hard. It was a music station if that makes any difference

·
Registered
969 Posts
Keep in mind, that "moderate rain" where you are may not be the case in Mississauga where Bell's satellites are. My signal will quite often go out and there are no weather-related issues around here, but in about an hour or two, there will be when we get the storm Mississauga had. Whenever Bell's signal goes out, we know there's a storm coming our way!

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
For those on BTV, please see the following thread on BTV rain outages. This is after all an SD thread and SD issues are slightly, but not completely, different.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=138780

If light rain causes you problems, the dish is not properly aligned, or it's not large enough for your location, or the outage is at the uplink - all discussed in the link.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
different type of rain fade - warping post.

turns out, my dish needed tweaking.

Yesterday, via swingplayer, I checked my signal strength quality on 2 different F1 channels

ch 266 (golfHD) strength 62, 2.3dB
ch 417 (Sportsnet Ontario) 68, 7.5

tweaked the dish when I got home, got 90, 9dB on channel 266 today with clear skies. F2 channels are all still good.

Guess my 6x6" post is warping due to all the rain. The warp in the post had turned the dish about 1-2 degrees to the East. I just tweaked it a bit to the west, and it's good now.

P

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
6x6" post

- yeah, I think I tweaked it once last fall too. I should really cap it. That might help with the warping, the endgrain is up, and exposed to the weather at the moment.

Anyways, got good numbers last night on ch 266. 90+ strength 9+dB for quality.

I found the perfect tool for tweaking the dish. I take my slingplayer and have it stream to my iPhone..... there's a 2 second lag between the tweak, and registering on the phone, but it's great not having to have kids yell out the window.....

P

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
They all seem to be back except for the one HD channel I was watching... The Score HD... blah.

Update... NM... did a front panel reset and The Score HD is back.

·
Registered
866 Posts
It happens so rarely for me that I am surprised when the HD goes. I posted too quickly, however, the pic was back shortly after my post. My signal is strong 99% of the time. We are getting heavy rain here now and I am watching HD programing.
(Last night the stars were out here when we lost the signal!)

·
Registered
326 Posts
We lost our signal for a few minutes last night (July 23rd) during some thunder and lightning. This seems to happen whenever there is a thunderstorm.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Their main uplink is in Mississauga, and that is where most of the HD channels , US cable, and Toronto region originating broadcast and specialty channels are uplinked from.

They do have uplinks in about 6 other cities across the nation, plus Bell Media has their own uplinks that are used by Shaw Direct customers (at least at 299 QueenW and Channel 9 court in Toronto).

·
Registered
301 Posts
Simply put, a bad enough storm at an uplink will basically knock the channel(s) out nationally. (The signal can't pass UP to the satellite). You could be on cable (or IPTV) and still lose the channel, if it's satellite fed into the cable system.

As mentioned, Shaw Direct has a number of uplink sites nationally so weather should not be able to disrupt more than a few transponders at a time. Other providers may be more "centralized" and susceptible to a single location's weather.

Of course, bad weather at your own location can affect ALL your channels (the signal can't pass DOWN to your dish). This should be rare and having your dish fully peaked (maximum signal) should help minimize any disruptions.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Hi everyone thanks for the info on the Shaw uplink. So if theres bad weather in TO does that knock out all the channels that Classicsat said or can Shaw send them to other upllinks?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts