Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subscription channel RAI Italia (formerly RAI Internazionale) is showing an increase in Wide-screen SD content shows, in an anamorphic squeezed 4:3 frame. In the past, they would broadcast the black bars on the top of their 4:3 frame, and their bug logo would be somewhere in between the picture and the black-space, but they are now showing more and more content, such as existing shows, in a Anamorphic-ally squeezed 4:3 frame, with their logo now in the viewable picture area. Viewing on a Wide-screen TV you would still have to stretch the picture to fill the entire 16x9 frame, but in the past, you would have to do a ZOOM, resulting in poor PQ in the past and the network bug logo getting cut off. The horizontal resolution, although not in HD, still looks very good for SD Wide-screen, and resulting in being able to read text on the screen a lot better than the previous letterbox approach.

I think its a step in the right direction for RAI. Whats next? perhaps implementing the AFR wide-screen flag in the programming? or is this one step in the right direction for a possible HD channel? I think HD is a long shot away, but if we get a true 16x9 channel, that would be great.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just in the last day or two, RAI Italia is now changed their broadcast. It appears the original broadcast is a 16x9 aspect ratio, but they were anamorphically squeezing it in the past to fit 4:3, but now, they seem to centre cut the 16x9 broadcast to fit a 4:3 image, we have a 16x9 tv, and it seems their broadcast is NOT 4:3 safe, thus some information including the RAI Bug and text is getting cut off by doing this, they may not be aware of it? Anyone else have this problem? its just grey bars over the sides of where a 16x9 picture should be, kinda annoying, i liked it better when it was anamorphic, i could stretch it and watch it fine and not loose any picture.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts