Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys recommend any brand of 80mm Case fans and CPU fan for a socket 775 that are quiet? I'm not looking for anything too expensive, just an average, best bang for the buck fans that i can purchase in the GTA....

·
Registered
370 Posts
I believe you can achieve a quieter machine with 120mm fans, they turn slower but move more air because of the size.

I have used antec fans with good results, I have the Antec sonata case with a single 120mm fan and stock amd cpu fan and I find it quite quiet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nexus Fans!

One of the quietest (yet still fairly easy to find) brands of fans out there is Nexus. In the Toronto area you can find them at InMax on College St., $10.99 for the 80mm version. Google "inmax" to find their website. I'm sure you can find them for sale online in various places too.

The SilentPCReview website has some good reviews of other quiet/silent fans as well, but even they use Nexus as their baseline, and for good reason.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
Good cooling and quiet is difficult to achieve with 80mm fans but it can be done. There are a number of high quality, high efficiency fans on the market from Zalman, Antec and Panasonic. They usually need to be combined with a fan speed controller such as the Zalman Fanmate to be really "silent". The cost can add up. Antec has a new line of fans that include a 3 speed switch and are reasonable in price. It may be cheaper in the long run to get an Antec Sonata II case and transfer you PC components to that. (That is exactly what I did recently.)

I have a Zalman CPU cooler, Arctic Cooling VPU cooler and an extra Antec 3 speed 120 mm fan in an Antec Sonata II case. The CPU fan is slowed slightly by a Zalman Fanmate controller. The result is a very quiet computer with cool case temperatures, even with moderate overclocking. Considering I have 4 hard drives, 2 DVD drives and an ATI 9800 video card, the results are quite good.

·
Registered
941 Posts
look at the Panaflo line. These 80mm move the most air while being almost silent at 12v. No need for any extras like the Zalman fanmate

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the replies. It looks like all of you are saying to go with a 120mm fan so i'll be doing that.

When looking for a cpu fan, what should i be looking for when it comes to the specs? I have no idea whats better and what isn't. For example, what should i look for when it comes to bearings, whats an acceptable noise level for a quiet cpu fan?

Maybe someone has a link to a website that can explain all this for me....

·
Registered
80 Posts
I tried several brands of fans when I built my HTPC a couple of years ago.

The quietest (while moving the same amount of air, of course) that I found are called SilenX.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
The noise ratings for fans can't be trusted. Most good quality PC fans are rated at somewhere between 25db and 35db. The lower end of that scale is the one to aim for. The noise level usually increases when fans are put in a case due to constriction of the air flow by grills and components. Most fans run between 1500 and 2500 rpm. To be quiet they need to run at or below 2000 rpm. Real "silence" starts at or below about 1500 rpm. Note that some fans do not start reliably below about 1000 rpm. The amount of air moving is also a factor. Better designed and larger fans can move more air for the same RPM and amount of noise. Note that CPU and VPU fans can be very noisy as well. Some video cards and CPUs need special coolers to be quiet. I aim for a total PC noise level of about 25db. That's less than some fans or CPU and VPU coolers alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts