Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My BP will output either PCM, Bitstream Re-encode or Bitstream Audiophile ( it's a Samsung ).

Am I right in thinking that I should have it set to PCM and let my Pioneer VSX-9140TXH receiver just handle the PCM ? Is this the best way of setting it to get the most out of the audio ?

Must admit to being a bit in the dark regarding audio. I notice on the receiver PCM shows on its display or with the other settings either DTS or DD ( which I assume are compressed to a more or lesser extent ). Is PCM not compressed ?

Also, is the said receiver compatible with 96khz sample as I can't find reference to it in the manual ?

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Your AVR handles HD audio via HDMI, so you should set the player to Bistream Audiophile and let the AVR decode those HD audio formats. See the following FAQ - HD audio near the end.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76082

Depending on the BD player, there may be other settings which need to be set appropriately, for example on some SAP needs to be turned off, etc. Also, I've found that there can be issues with Pioneer AVRs and HDMI if the AVR is not turned on first. When you have a disc with TrueHD or DTS-MA, that should display on the AVR.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Also, is the said receiver compatible with 96khz sample as I can't find reference to it in the manual ?
Yes it is compatible. Press the "status" button on your remote to see the current sampling rate displayed on the front panel.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks the two of you. I will set it as described. The booklet stated that if setting Bit Audiophile, the secondary and third audio streams would not be heard ( menu sound effects etc I presume ). I can't remember the exact wording I will look tonight as I am at work. I was just looking for the best setting for sound quality. I assumed that the PCM was 'raw uncompressed and so according to the booklet this was the best setting, but I must admit I cannot hear any difference between them with my old ears.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
When using HDMI, the TrueHD and DTS-MA are also raw, uncompressed. Regular DD5.1 and DTS are compressed. Regarding multi-channel PCM or TrueHD, the decision then becomes do you wish the BD Player or the AVR to do the decoding. The AVR is usually better at it and also you can then see confirmation of the appropriate stream (TrueHD or DTS-MA) on the AVR display, assuming one of those streams is on the BD.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, I would rather the rather expensive AVR do the work than the rather cheaper BD player. Many thanks for the clarification. I will check the exact wording later today in the manual. Must admit to still being a little confused if both PCM and TrueHD/DTS master are uncompressed, but the child in me does like to see the AVR display the appropriate stream instead of always PCM. Also SAP ?

Many thanks 57.

·
Registered
251 Posts
From what I've read in the HT magazines there is no discernable sound diff between PCM and bitstream (both are uncompressed) only that using bitstream will 'turn off' the PIP and audio commentary used in some BD live features as well as the sound effects used when selecting menu items in your BD player...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, that would explain the text of the manual which is :

PCM - you can enjoy not only primary audio but also the secondary and effect audio together. This unit can decode DTHD and DTSMA, the output audio quality will be the same with bitstream audiophile audio - rec choice if you have a hdmi receiver

Bitstream Audiophile - This unit can decode DTHD and DTSMA, the output audio quality will be the same as PCM setup, but you will not hear the secondary and effect audio - rec choice if you have 1.3 hdmi receiver which has DTHD and DTSMA decoding.

I guess if I ever want those in screen visual commentaries with all sound on at the same time I will flick it to PCM, then back again.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The AVR is usually better at it
Not sure if I agree with this. It is either decoded properly or not...that's like saying a Intel is better than AMD is 'better' at unzipping something...the end result is in fact the same thing, no?
I think the only difference is the "HD Audio light" on the avr during Bitstreaming as well as the extra commentary as discussed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts