Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bell Becomes Exclusive Canadian Partner for Quibi

Quibi, the upcoming mobile video platform, today announced its first partnership in Canada with Bell, the country’s largest communications company. Bell becomes Quibi’s exclusive Canadian marketing partner in the telecommunications category and the first Canadian provider of daily content for the new platform.

Quibi will launch in Canada on April 6 for the monthly price of Cdn $6.99 with advertising and Cdn $9.99 without ads.

News and sports from Bell Media
Bell Media, Canada’s leading content company, becomes the exclusive Canadian news and sports provider for the mobile-first platform. The two Bell Media series will be part of Quibi’s Daily Essentials, which will feature curated news, entertainment and inspirational content each day. Bell will also market Quibi to Canadians via Bell Media and Bell Mobility marketing channels.

Bell Media becomes the only Canadian media company producing exclusive content for Daily Essentials. Bell Media’s CTV News, Canada’s leading news organization, will produce a daily news program covering breaking news and the biggest stories of the day, which will stream on Quibi mornings and evenings on weekdays and mornings on weekends. Bell Media’s TSN, Canada’s sports leader and #1 sports network, will produce a daily sports information update streaming every morning, 7 days a week. Further details about both programs will be announced in the near future.

“We are excited to partner with Bell and Canada’s top news and sports brands from Bell Media to deliver daily curated programs that will provide Canadians all of the biggest moments and stories of the day in quick bites,” said Jeffrey Katzenberg, Founder and Chairman of the Board, Quibi.

“As Canada’s provider of the country’s most-watched content and the leader in mobile innovation, Bell is uniquely positioned to partner with Quibi on this exciting new evolution in entertainment,” said Mirko Bibic, President and Chief Executive Officer, BCE and Bell Canada. “Our goal is to advance how Canadians connect with each other and the world, and we look forward to powering the launch of Quibi in Canada with the full strength of Bell’s unmatched wireless and content creation resources.”

“We’re thrilled to expand our digital footprint in this partnership with the new and highly anticipated mobile platform, Quibi,” said Randy Lennox, President, Bell Media. “Bell Media continues to adapt to the evolving media landscape by providing additional opportunities for our audiences to consume content more quickly on the innovative platforms of their choice.”

About Quibi
Quibi is a mobile-first media technology platform bringing together the best of Silicon Valley and Hollywood. Headquartered in Los Angeles, Quibi is the first entertainment platform built for easy, on-the-go mobile viewing, allowing today’s leading studios and creative talent to tell original stories in an entirely new way. For more information visit quibi.com.

See also: Bell devient le partenaire canadien exclusif de Quibi

----

I've seen a lot of press releases from Quibi (Quick Bites) highlighting a lot of content in development with high-profile partners. Quibi is producing all-original content in bites of 10 minutes or less, so I expect they will retain all international rights and Canadians will have access to all the content.

Quibi will also launch in the U.S. April 6. Meg Whitman, CEO; Jeffrey Katzenberg, Founder & Chairman. Katzenberg was chairman of Walt Disney Studios from 1984 to 1994, and later co-founder and CEO of DreamWorks Animation. They've raised a total of $1.75 billion as of yesterday.

EDIT: I confirmed that all Quibi content will be available in Canada. One other thing I forgot about, because it was so long ago, is that creators own the intellectual property, and they reclaim rights to the content after it’s licensed to Quibi for seven years.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Seems very expensive for short content and stuff you can get elsewhere. Am I missing something? Is there going to be a library of TV and movies as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@whitbyterryThe service will be designed from the ground-up to show content in 10-minute episodes. it's not just a matter of cutting up Game of Thrones into 10-minute segments, so there won't be a library of old content. Wikipedia has a list of the content at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quibi. Quibi is spending up to $100,000 per minute ($6 million per hour) on production budgets and expects to deliver 175 original series in the first year. NBC and ESPN will supply the daily U.S. news and sports segments, but that type of content is widely available, so I don't think that will be the main reason to subscribe.

@JamesK Except for Spielberg's After Dark horror series that can only be viewed at night, most content is expected to be viewed during the day, on-the-go, such as commutes, lunch and coffee breaks, etc. The target demographic is 18-34, who automatically pull out their smart phone when they have a few minutes to kill.

@17671 I agree. I won't be a subscriber, but I'm curious how things will evolve, given the big names involved.

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quibi to Launch with 50 Shows on April 6

Jennifer Lopez, Chrissy Teigen, Chance the Rapper, Liam Hemsworth, Sophie Turner, Lena Waithe, Nicole Richie, Reese Witherspoon and more coming to Quibi App on April 6

Today, Quibi unveiled that it will launch with 50 shows, including Survive, Most Dangerous Game, Thanks A Million, Chrissy's Court, Murder House Flip, Last Night's Late Night, The Replay by ESPN and more on April 6. Full list below.

As an added bonus, Quibi announced it would offer 90 day free trials for a limited time. To unlock the offer, viewers need to visit Quibi.com and sign-up before April 6.

Launching on April 6, Quibi is the first entertainment platform designed specifically for your phone and will feature fresh, original content from Hollywood's biggest stars and creators.

Quibi will release 175 original shows and 8,500 quick bites of content in the first year alone.

Quibi will offer three categories of content:

1. Movies in Chapters: Big stories told in chapters that are 7 to 10 minutes in length.

2. Unscripted and Docs: This episodic category is food, fashion, travel, animals, cars, builds, music, sports, comedy, talk, variety, documentary and more. All with episodes in 10 minutes or less.

3. Daily Essentials: Curated daily into 5-6 minute quick bites of news, entertainment and inspiration. Quibi's Daily Essentials will quickly give viewers everything they need to know - and why it matters.

Quibi - which is short for "quick bites" - is built for easy, on-the-go mobile viewing with new episodes of movie-quality shows delivered daily in episodes of 10 minutes or less.

The Quibi app is now available for pre-order.

See the press release for THE FULL LIST OF SHOWS COMING TO QUIBI ON APRIL 6.

Note: This is a U.S. Press Release, so it's not clear if the free trial will apply to Canada.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
It sounds like they are going after the 'youtube' generation with it??

I hear from a lot of youtube content creators, that there is a sweet spot in the length of videos. Should try to not have them longer than 20 minutes, etc.. the LONGER the videos, seem to get lower completed watched views.

Smaller attention spans??

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Nice trivialization of a medically diagnosed disorder in here. There's lots of times where I could use a "quick bite" of entertainment - taking a break after a couple hours of work, waiting for someone/call, etc. Quibi doesn't match my entertainment interests (except for "Fierce Queens" - short bites of history sounds good) but I have no quibbles about the ten minute format.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It was a joke, a funny. I have ADD and my nephew does too. I didn't find it offensive at all. Why do people insist on taking everything so seriously these days?
I am of the opinion (can I have one of those?) that the current practice of "fast edits" in entertainment has ruined the "watchability" - case in point - Star Trek Discovery. Awful.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If I pay, I don't want ads. If I'm going to pay $10 I want something more substantial. In this time of cord-cutting, I am mystified why anyone would expect this to be a profitable venture. IMHO it will fail. It costs less than that for Amazon Prime and not only do you get complete movies and series, but also free shipping!

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bell Media Announces Anchors for Quibi’s Daily Essentials Programs in Canada

Bell Media announced today programming and host details for the three exclusive programs it is producing for Quibi’s curated news and entertainment content, Daily Essentials, launching April 6. From Bell Media’s CTV NEWS and TSN, the short-form, daily, curated content are entitled NEWSDAY BY CTV NEWS, NEWSNIGHT BY CTV NEWS, and SPORTS AM BY TSN.

Backed by the vast network that makes up Canada’s leading news organization, CTV News is producing two Daily Essentials programs, NEWSDAY BY CTV NEWS, hosted by Heather Butts, and NEWSNIGHT BY CTV NEWS, hosted by Reshmi Nair. With new episodes available for streaming on Quibi every weekday morning by 6:30 a.m. ET, every weekday evening by 5 p.m. ET, and weekend mornings by 9 a.m. ET, the daily news program covers important news stories and the biggest headlines of the day, both in Canada and around the world. From politics and business to health and climate change, Butts and Nair deliver timely, digestible updates of the news that matters most.

From TSN, Canada’s Sports Leader, new episodes of SPORTS AM BY TSN are available for streaming every morning at 6:30 a.m. ET on weekdays, and 9 a.m. ET on weekends. Hosted by TSN’s Lindsay Hamilton during the week and on weekends by Kayla Grey, SPORTS AM BY TSN packs the most buzzed-about and truly essential sports stories from around the world into three-minute daily episodes.

See the press release for more details.

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUIBI ANNOUNCES APRIL TITLES

This is a Bell Media press release, but it just looks like they re-issued the American one, since it mentions the U.S. dollar prices. The press release include description, images and trailers.

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got a general email from Bell that also confirmed Quibi's 90 day free trial applies to Canada and that it ends April 30, 2020.

I saw an interview with Meg Whitman where she said the free trial will be two weeks starting next month. She also said they are working on making the app cast to TV screens, a feature she said had always been planned but was not available at launch. There were 1.7 million downloads of the app in its first week of operation. (Deadline)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts