Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reviewing my Visa statement online and noticed a charge for $33 dollars for the Globe and Mail, my monthly payment.

This prompted me to go to the Amazon Kindle store to see how much G&M costs. At the store it says $15.99.

Under description, I get

The Kindle Edition of The Globe and Mail contains most articles found in the print edition, but will not include images or tables. Some features such as the crossword puzzle, box scores and classifieds are not currently available. For your convenience, issues are automatically delivered Monday through Saturday starting at 6:00 AM Toronto local time.
Questions for anyone who knows (please if you don't know, don't guess)

1. Am I to presume that amount is in US dollars and is the price for a one month subscription?
  2. Anybody know how long it takes to download?
  3. Must it be completely downloaded before reading?
  4. How big of a download is it?
Thanks in advance.

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I have not been able to find anything that specifically stated it was monthly.

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts
Click on "How subscriptions work" on the right side of the screen.
You can cancel at any time during your 14-day free trial, and you will not be charged. If you do not cancel within the 14-day period, your subscription will continue at the regular monthly price using a payment method we have on record for you.
Books take under 60 seconds so I can't see the text of a newspaper being much different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Globe and Mail is simply a text version of the paper, no photos or extras. I'll be comparing the print version to the Kindle version tomorrow. If you set your Amazon.com account to think that you're based in the US, the subscription rate is $9.99 per month. Why Canadians have to pay more for a subscription to the Globe and Mail, I don't know.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I went back just now. They've changed the section since I was there this morning. It was right beside the $15.99 price on the product page. I was surprised because like you, when I checked yesterday the monthly information was not there.

Now they have offered a single, current issue for $1.25 that was not there this morning. I'm almost positive the Montreal Gazette wasn't there either.

I think I am going to try the single issue on the PC version to see what it's like.

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts
The Globe and Mail is simply a text version of the paper, no photos or extras. I'll be comparing the print version to the Kindle version tomorrow. If you set your Amazon.com account to think that you're based in the US, the subscription rate is $9.99 per month. Why Canadians have to pay more for a subscription to the Globe and Mail, I don't know.
Anyone thinking about subscribing to G&M on the U.S. site should be aware that Amazon charges $4.99/week for international access to subscriptions so that G&M sub could end up costing you about $30/month.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200375890#whispintl

U.S. Customers Accessing Whispernet Outside the United States
Kindle (Global Wireless) customers from the United States can travel internationally and still get books in less than 60 seconds. Customers have the option to wirelessly download books and periodicals via Whispernet for a fee or transfer files from their computer for free.

International Book Service: Download books from your Kindle's Archived Items or the Kindle store via Whispernet for $1.99 per book.

International Subscription Service: Receive all of your newspaper, magazine, and blog subscription content via Whispernet for a weekly fee of $4.99.

International Current Issue Service: Download individual issues of newspapers and magazines from your Kindle's Archived Items or the Kindle store via Whispernet for $1.99 per issue.

FREE transfer of Kindle Store purchases: Select "Transfer via Computer" from the Deliver to: pull-down menu on the product detail page at the time of purchase. We'll save the item to your computer so you can copy it to your Kindle via the USB connection.

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Globe and Mail is simply a text version of the paper, no photos or extras. I'll be comparing the print version to the Kindle version tomorrow.
jrmints, would really appreciate hearing what you think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
jrmints, would really appreciate hearing what you think.
I'll be sure to let you know. When I compared the Sunday New York Times Kindle edition to the print edition months back, the stories were pretty much the same, with the exception of some graphics/charts and no crossword.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I just got my Kindle yesterday and I have subscribed to the G&M. The articles look the same to me in today's paper.

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So Wayne, are most images included? Are there any advertisements? How do you find it?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
So Wayne, are most images included? Are there any advertisements? How do you find it?
It is text only no ads, photos, illustrations, etc - reading the articles is fine but it is not great for browsing. You can browse by section but it is not the same as browsing through the dead tree edition. But it would certainly be much easier to read on the TTC.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Yeah - I bought Saturday's LA Times, and the format could probably best be described as "text extracted and put into undifferentiated stories".
(i.e., the lead headline above the fold on the front page looks exactly the same a tertiary story buried in the sports section).

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
You're right Nuje - it is really hard to determine the relevance of each story which is something that is inherently obvious when reading the actual paper. The only really way of knowing is the order but the most important stories are not always first.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
But, hey, the Kindle 2 (in Canada) is about delivering an alternative book-like experience.

If I want to read the Globe (which I do, daily), I'll read it online or in print. When I am on holiday, the online version meets my needs over a netbook or at an Internet Cafe.

Buying the Globe (again) to read on a 6 inch Kindle screen isn't a high priority -- and it doesn't matter whether graphics, ads, classified or obits are included.

What's lost in some of these conversations is what a Kindle 2 (and others like it) are designed for: and that is a single-purpose -- books. I entirely agree that reading articles from New Yorkdr, Economist, Atlantic and Harpers on a Kindle 2 is a nice to have because those pubs are so text-heavy and less urgent than daily news ... they are, at their best, "good reads".

And that's what a device like the Kindle 2 is all about: delivering a good read, and a library of good reads, wherever that is convenient to you, without trying to be a phone, a computer, a netbook, and mp3 player. It's a book alternative, focussing on delivering the text-bound content ... and it does that rather well.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I entirely agree that reading articles from New Yorkdr, Economist, Atlantic and Harpers on a Kindle 2 is a nice to have because those pubs are so text-heavy
The one I really looking forward to subscribing to was Harper's (in addition to Vanity Fair, but alas, no dice in Kindle-land. :(

I'm seriously considering sending my Kindle back, just because the iPhone app seems to do what I need (read books, utilize footnotes seamlessly), and what I was looking forward to (additional content from magazines and newspapers) is a fairly pale imitation.

I zipped through Michael Lewis' "The Blind Side" on my iPhone without ever setting aside designated reading time, solely because I had the iPhone always with me, and the book cued up right where I'd left off.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
It would be nice of we had the option to read those magazine as I don't think The Economist, The New Yorker or Harpers are available to Canadians - at least I don't see them on my Kindle.

On the upside two more Canadian newspapers appeared today - The Montreal Gazette and the Vancouver Sun.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Here's something that looks interesting - Calibre which automatically downloads and converts magazines and newspapers for many book readers, including the Kindle. http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/

I am trying it right now on the Economist which is not available in Canada.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I'm seriously considering sending my Kindle back, just because the iPhone app seems to do what I need
Seriously? I mean, to each his own: but the screen real estate on a iPhone is way smaller than even the Kindle 2 and it certainly doesnt have a 1 to 2 week battery life between recharges.

The iPhone is great -- it's a multi-purpose device that also happens to be a phone and wirelessly connected. But it's not designed for book reading and doesn't offer a credible substitute for a paperback. It's that easy transportability of text in a comfy form factor that makes the Kindle attractive to me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.