Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have MTS Internet through Ultimate TV service and using the 2wire as my router/switch. A few questions about configuring the 2wire:

1) Is there a reason we cannot change the SSID and/or password? The tech who installed it wouldn't even give me the IP for the 2wire to configure it and said I could not change the password but did not explain why

2) Can I block ping requests?

3) Anything else I should know about configuring the 2wire?

Thanks,

Kelly

·
Super Moderator
17,214 Posts
To access the 2Wire configuration, enter http://192.168.100.254 in your browser address bar. The user password for accessing advanced settings is the 10 digit number on the side of the 2Wire.

1) You can change the SSID by clicking on "Home Network" and "Edit Settings" under Wireless Settings. You should set your Power Setting to 10 for the best coverage.

2) You can block Ping by going to Firewall/Advanced Settings.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The IP of your 2wire is 192.168.100.254. My installer gave me the password and did not say a thing about not changing it.... and the password happened to be the same as the password for the wireless network key... not sure if that helps you.

On the System password page of the 2wire (which you can access without knowing the password) there is a Forgot Password link, not sure of that helps you either.

EDIT: DOH, too slow and the good Dr. beat me to the punch :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there any reasons that we should not be changing the SSID/password? The installer said I could not change the password so I'm just curious if there is a reason. When I asked for the 2Wire URL he asked why, I said to setup port forwarding and such, he said that would not be needed.

Also, forgot to ask initially, there looks to be a button at the bottom/right end of the 2Wire, is it a button and if so what does it do?

Thanks again for your help,

Kelly

·
Super Moderator
17,214 Posts
I know of one installation where MTS set up the SSID as the customer's last name, so it can be anything. I'm not sure about the password.

The port forwarding is under Firewall / Advanced Settings.

The physical button on the gateway is the power button (I think you have to hold it for 10 seconds). Ultimate TV is an integrated service, so if you power off the gateway you'll stop all TV streams.

·
Registered
217 Posts
GraphicPro,

I know exactly why they don't want you chaning the password, because this actually happened to me earlier this year when a buddie asked me to come over and configure his wireless connection on his 2-wire. The sticker on the side with the password was worn down and I couldn't read a couple of the numbers, and after a ton of hit and miss tries I finally called MTS. Turns out, MTS has no ability to determine the password for a 2-wire box, rather they need to send the box in to have the password reset. Apparently you can hard-reset the box to get the password to return to the one on the side of the box, but since we couldn't read that one, the only option was to have the 2-wire replaced. In this case, we kept trying other possible numbers and finally figured out the 2 missing digits so MTS didn't have to actually change the 2-wire out.

so long story short, if you change your password, and forget what it is your screwed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A good warning for sure, but what I'm only interested in changing is the wireless password, sorry, forgot to make that clear earlier. I am also assuming that the wireless password is separate from the 2Wire password, just that they currently are set to the same thing right now. Is this a correct assumption?

·
Registered
217 Posts
hmmmm, I am not sure if they are seperate, something tells me they are the same thing, but then again it has been over a month since I went through this, and I am old with a failing memory :(

Is Macman around? I bet he would know this right off the top of his head.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes, they are separate passwords. I changed my wireless password on the 2Wire to the same password that I was using for the wireless network on my Linksys router so I could use both devices with the same SSID and have double the coverage :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Weird, I thought I replied already. The wireless key is the system password, too.

You can change the SSID and key to whatever you like. As long as you're careful not to muck around with something else that might screw up your MTS connection, you should be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts