Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i been thinking about switching over to wind, and had some questions about voice and data reception around toronto and its surrounding areas.

Yea, my bad my question how is the reception in GTA and its surrounding areas

·
Registered
107 Posts
If your question is, is wind a good alternative to the bigger 3, then within the GTA it is, reception for me has been pretty much on par. However look at there coverage map, it pretty much tells the story beyond the gta, once you are out of their "home zone" you will be paying extra, but as you on the rogers network reception is good in the "away zoones".
The unlimted data plan is what sold me, along with the zero contract and overall better pricing. If your worried about call quality in the gta, don't be.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
In "old Toronto" coverage is great. I can't speak for the west end but in the east it's much weaker. Coverage outdoors is usually fine but indoors has plenty of holes and basement coverage is almost non-existent.

That said they're not the only ones. Bell's CDMA network STILL has large outdoor holes in Guildwood for example.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I worked with someone who just switched to Wind and it was a pain to get a hold of him (we were always on the road). It either went to voice mail, or would connect but could barely talk to him b/c the reception was horrible. I think I was able to have 2 decent conversations with him over the 3 weeks I worked with him. The rest of the time I had to wait to get back to the office or call him 3 or 4 times to get all the info to him.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I don't live in Toronto, but I travel there frequently for business. I always use my Wind phone there and have not had any problems with reception. No one has ever had a problem trying to get a hold of me.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I've rarely been to the west end, but in Durham I've had excellent reception; as well as along Yonge north to about Finch; the airport; and some areas of Scarborough.

The phone you have makes a huge difference.
I had a Samsung Gravity before and I had no signal in my basement.
Moving to a Nexus One, I now get 0-1 bars in the basement.
(Note that 0 bars is still a usable state - I've received calls in the basement. It will cut to "no signal"/"emergency calls only" if you drop lower than that)

Look up the wind tower maps - e.g.
http://www.canadiancow.com/wind/
If you're within 1km of a tower, you should expect good signal, though basements might be iffy. (I'm about 1km from the closest 3 towers)
Also keep in mind construction materials.
A wood house with brick is far different than a solid concrete/steel building, or even a wood building with aluminum siding.
(e.g. in the lower level of the airport terminal [arrivals area] you can get full signal, but if you go in the building a bit [say, to a washroom], it may drop out)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts