Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not own an HD TV, unfortunately. However I am still interested in owning a DVR or PVR or whatever they're calling them now. Basically I am wondering if there are still Non-HD recievers still around, and where I can find one. Because I feel it to be a bit outrageous the price these things are going for new, and I wouldn't even be able to take complete advantage of it. Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Unfortunately, Cogeco no longer offers a SD PVR.

In fact, pretty much every television service provider in Canada has stopped offering SD PVRs.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
You could get an SD STB and then connect a DVD recorder. FAQ on connections below, not as easy to use, but if you record mostly analogue channels, it would certainly do the trick easily until analogue dies (which could be not too far away - perhaps a couple of years) You can always use it with the STB for digital channels, it's just not as simple, as outlined in the FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76077

Useful post: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741 FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization.

·
Registered
133 Posts
but ask for the serial number and call Cogeco in case it's stolen (you'd lose money as they won't activate it or they will charge for renting it...)

·
Registered
949 Posts
That's only really an issue if buying locally. Look for a guarantee that it works / warranty. You can find some nice units out there...

·
Registered
133 Posts
User doesn't say where he's from, if he's from Quebec, Cogeco will NOT accept to add any setup box if it doesn't come from their warehouses (aka Cogeco owned or cogeco customer owned), same can be said "to some extant" about Cogeco Ontario.

It's good to know that lots of boxes won't work even if it's same model as each company have their own modified boxes and some firmwares might not work at all with some boxes... (we've seen it happen a lot)

·
Registered
949 Posts
I've seen very few instances of units not working with Cogeco Ontario, that are not defective. A small subset of DCT6412/2005 are unable to download firmware from Cogeco.

Just remember if you do purchase a unit that hasn't been used on Cogeco to learn how to reset it yourself, because Cogeco suppost is USELESS when it comes to that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Think I stand at 1 out of 10 that doesn't work :(

I don't want to play "russian roulette" with my own customers so I recommend that they always check if the box comes from Cogeco-land and to get the serial anyways :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts